+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Error in Marriage Certificate

Nakshatra_Raghuvanshi

May 28, 2020
Hi All,

I am from India and recently got married. My wife is holding a Canada PR and she is supposed to apply for the spousal sponsorship PR for me. Unfortunately, there is a mistake in the marriage certificate issued to us. That mistake is completely a clerical error made while typing. Her first name got misspelled even though we have submitted all the documents correctly. And in none of the documents we have there isn't any issue with the name. Now, in order to get it correct, we both needs to be present in the marriage registration office. But, due to the current COVID-19 situation its not possible for my wife to travel to India immediately.
So, can we still go ahead with the spousal sponsorship application with the discrepancy in the spelling of the first name of my wife? If yes, will it results any sort of problems with the application going ahead. Is there any alternative solution for this?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi All,

I am from India and recently got married. My wife is holding a Canada PR and she is supposed to apply for the spousal sponsorship PR for me. Unfortunately, there is a mistake in the marriage certificate issued to us. That mistake is completely a clerical error made while typing. Her first name got misspelled even though we have submitted all the documents correctly. And in none of the documents we have there isn't any issue with the name. Now, in order to get it correct, we both needs to be present in the marriage registration office. But, due to the current COVID-19 situation its not possible for my wife to travel to India immediately.
So, can we still go ahead with the spousal sponsorship application with the discrepancy in the spelling of the first name of my wife? If yes, will it results any sort of problems with the application going ahead. Is there any alternative solution for this?
If it is clearly a typo and all the other supporting documents are with the correct spelling, go ahead and submit. It is a good idea to include a letter of explanation - short - noting that it is a clerical error, and that you can't get a correction due to covid-related closures.

It's not ideal but if it\s clearly a typo it's unlikely they'd return it to you, and perhaps they would ask for you to submit corrected when available.

It's possible they would just accept as is, this is not the first time in the history of humanity there has been a typo in an official document.

Nakshatra_Raghuvanshi

May 28, 2020
If it is clearly a typo and all the other supporting documents are with the correct spelling, go ahead and submit. It is a good idea to include a letter of explanation - short - noting that it is a clerical error, and that you can't get a correction due to covid-related closures.

It's not ideal but if it\s clearly a typo it's unlikely they'd return it to you, and perhaps they would ask for you to submit corrected when available.

It's possible they would just accept as is, this is not the first time in the history of humanity there has been a typo in an official document.
Thanks Armoured for quick reply.

Do this letter of explanation needs to be a affidavit/certificate kind of document? What exactly we need to mention in this letter?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks Armoured for quick reply.

Do this letter of explanation needs to be a affidavit/certificate kind of document? What exactly we need to mention in this letter?
Just a plain letter. You are already stating that all documents and attachments are true in the main application,which will cover this letter. It adds nothing to have someone else certify that you stated this.

Rohitbnaik

Jul 15, 2019
Out of curiosity was your application accepted? I have the ame case right now where my fathers name is spelled with "a" missing in it.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Out of curiosity was your application accepted? I have the ame case right now where my fathers name is spelled with "a" missing in it.
Are you sponsoring your father to become PR? (PGP)

If not, father's name is not a common field in marriage certificate. As long as your name and your birthday ..etc is correct, there is no issue.

Rohitbnaik

Jul 15, 2019
Are you sponsoring your father to become PR? (PGP)

If not, father's name is not a common field in marriage certificate. As long as your name and your birthday ..etc is correct, there is no issue.
My wife is currently in canada and she would be the sponsor.
I have full name on passport as
“Naik Rohit Bharadwaj” , They misspelled fathers name on marriage certificate grooms name as
Naik Rohit Bhardwaj (missing the “a” in fathers name) rest of the name is correct.
authorities are not helping to change the details hence need to understand if this would affect the application in any way, if yes what are the alternate options?