+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry with TWP application pending

mk801

Nov 7, 2019
Since I am new to this forum, please be patient with me.

I applied for a TWP and since there is some delay right now, I am getting closer and closer to the date when I actually should travel to Canada. So I am wondering whether I can just enter Canada on an eTA.

To be more specific: I am a European citizen (so could enter Canada with an eTA) and I am planning a research stay in Canada. For the first 120 days I am even exempted from the work permit, but since my stay would be for half a year I am required to get a TWP (in the LMIA exemption category).

My questions are:
1) So should I enter Canada (based on the eTA and the exception for the 120 days even if I applied for a half year TWP) and wait there for the answer to the TWP application or would you rather recommend me not to enter Canada in this case and wait for their answer?
2) In case I get their approval for the TWP just a couple of days before my flight, and by submitting my passport I would actually not get it back on time, is it fine to go to Canada anyway? ... and get the TWP sorted from there?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Since I am new to this forum, please be patient with me.

I applied for a TWP and since there is some delay right now, I am getting closer and closer to the date when I actually should travel to Canada. So I am wondering whether I can just enter Canada on an eTA.

To be more specific: I am a European citizen (so could enter Canada with an eTA) and I am planning a research stay in Canada. For the first 120 days I am even exempted from the work permit, but since my stay would be for half a year I am required to get a TWP (in the LMIA exemption category).

My questions are:
1) So should I enter Canada (based on the eTA and the exception for the 120 days even if I applied for a half year TWP) and wait there for the answer to the TWP application or would you rather recommend me not to enter Canada in this case and wait for their answer?
2) In case I get their approval for the TWP just a couple of days before my flight, and by submitting my passport I would actually not get it back on time, is it fine to go to Canada anyway? ... and get the TWP sorted from there?
1. You could come to Canada as a visitor but would not be able to start your research. If approved while in Canada, you would have to actually leave Canada and re-enter to activate the work permit.

2. You don't send your passport. If approved before you go, your work permit will be issued when you enter.