+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry into Canada with wife but no visa yet. anyone done this?

ali_c

Jul 23, 2015
Hi everyone

Apologies if there is a thread on this already as I was unable to find one.

I am a UK born citizen and my wife is canadian with UK citizenship through our marriage also kids are dual citizens born in UK. I am wondering what would happen if we flew over to settle as she is fed up of life in the UK. She will need to submit BSF186/BSF186A documents at the time of landing so the officer will obviously know I am coming. I know I can stay 6 months on my UK passport and intend to apply inland when arrived. Do you know what the procedure is for this or would I get turned around and sent back. Anyone done this before ?

Thanks in advance

ali_c

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone

Apologies if there is a thread on this already as I was unable to find one.

I am a UK born citizen and my wife is canadian with UK citizenship through our marriage also kids are dual citizens born in UK. I am wondering what would happen if we flew over to settle as she is fed up of life in the UK. She will need to submit BSF186/BSF186A documents at the time of landing so the officer will obviously know I am coming. I know I can stay 6 months on my UK passport and intend to apply inland when arrived. Do you know what the procedure is for this or would I get turned around and sent back. Anyone done this before ?

Thanks in advance

ali_c
He can come to Canada to visit for 6 months and then you can sponsor him and he can apply for an OWP.

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Canuck78 ... minor typo but the wife is a Canadian just she has dual Canadian/UK citizenship. It is the husband as a UK citizen who wants to travel as a visitor remembering of course as a minimum to get his ETA approved if not already before travel.

Reactions: canuck78

ali_c

Jul 23, 2015
Bs65 and Canuck78 yes that is right I am a UK citizen and travelling with my wife and kids - everyone has Canadian passprts except me. My question is when my wife presents her BSF186/BSF186A documents at the time of landing it shows she is returning home to stay. Me only having ETA and married to her will they still allow me in and am I allowed to enter with intent to file in Canada. I know in the UK most people have to file in their own country or get sent back at border. Hope this makes it clearer

Thanks

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If the CBSA officer believes you are moving to Canada on your tourist status, you may be turned back at the border. You are not supposed to use tourist status to settle in Canada.

Read up on the idea of dual intent - if challenged by CBSA, you will need to assure them that you will respect your status in Canada, including leaving at the end of six months (or whatever admission you may be granted) if you do not otherwise have status or implied status.