+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry into Canada during COVID-19 - Spousal sponsorship

Christmarie

Aug 26, 2019
USA
Category........
FAM
I am a U.S. citizen and my fiance is Canadian. We are getting married in December. I am currently filling out the spousal sponsorship application and was wondering if we could travel via land? Also I was wondering if we tell the border officer that I am planning on dual intent? (Visiting but applying for PR) I am not sure what to do. It is very stressful. We hope to be living together in December if possible because we are buying a house. We believe it would be safer and I could bring some of my belongings with us. If not we plan to travel via air together but we wanted to see if land travel was possible. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a U.S. citizen and my fiance is Canadian. We are getting married in December. I am currently filling out the spousal sponsorship application and was wondering if we could travel via land? Also I was wondering if we tell the border officer that I am planning on dual intent? (Visiting but applying for PR) I am not sure what to do. It is very stressful. We hope to be living together in December if possible because we are buying a house. We believe it would be safer and I could bring some of my belongings with us. If not we plan to travel via air together but we wanted to see if land travel was possible. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
You should limit what you bring to Canada for now (don't arrive with a U-Haul packed full of household goods). Right now you are only allowed to enter Canada as a visitor so you should pack accordingly. Leave stuff back in the U.S. that a visitor normally wouldn't bring (either in storage or with family). Once you have PR, you'll be able to bring everything to Canada.

Based on experiences here, I would avoid using the actual "dual intent" wording. This seems to create more issues than it solves.

As an American, you shouldn't have any issues entering Canada once you are married. Simply state you are coming in as a visitor with the intent to apply inland. Would be a good idea to have at least some of the forms filled out and have that with you as evidence that you plan to apply as soon as you are both in Canada.

Either land travel or air travel is fine. Shouldn't really matter.

Reactions: Christmarie

Christmarie

Aug 26, 2019
USA
Category........
FAM
You should limit what you bring to Canada for now (don't arrive with a U-Haul packed full of household goods). Right now you are only allowed to enter Canada as a visitor so you should pack accordingly. Leave stuff back in the U.S. that a visitor normally wouldn't bring (either in storage or with family). Once you have PR, you'll be able to bring everything to Canada.

Based on experiences here, I would avoid using the actual "dual intent" wording. This seems to create more issues than it solves.

As an American, you shouldn't have any issues entering Canada once you are married. Simply state you are coming in as a visitor with the intent to apply inland. Would be a good idea to have at least some of the forms filled out and have that with you as evidence that you plan to apply as soon as you are both in Canada.

Either land travel or air travel is fine. Shouldn't really matter.

I don't have many things its just two boxes of clothes that I wanted to bring but if anything I could leave it. Ok I wasn't sure how to word it so thank you for the information! Yes I have much of the forms already filled out. I was also wondering if I should pay the fees ahead of time? I'm not sure if that would matter but I was planning on doing that also. Thank you for the information!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't have many things its just two boxes of clothes that I wanted to bring but if anything I could leave it. Ok I wasn't sure how to word it so thank you for the information! Yes I have much of the forms already filled out. I was also wondering if I should pay the fees ahead of time? I'm not sure if that would matter but I was planning on doing that also. Thank you for the information!
Two boxes of clothes are fine. Yes, pay the fees in advance and bring proof. That is a good idea as well. Also make sure you have a quarantine plan. I think it's unfortunately highly likely that will still be a requirement two months from now.

Reactions: Christmarie

Christmarie

Aug 26, 2019
USA
Category........
FAM
Two boxes of clothes are fine. Yes, pay the fees in advance and bring proof. That is a good idea as well. Also make sure you have a quarantine plan. I think it's unfortunately highly likely that will still be a requirement two months from now.
Great! Thats what I was planning on doing anyway so that works out! :) Yes! I will have a quarantine plan. We are traveling straight home with as few stops as possible. Thank you so much!!