+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry in Canada

Rapan123

May 6, 2019
Hi,
I got my visa approved a couple of days ago and I just want to know when I can enter Canada.

My study starts on sept 4, CBU Nova Scotia.
Is it possible that I enter Canada at Toronto on july 22 as my sister resides there and I wish to visit her just for a couple of weeks.
Anyway, my agent is asking me to not book flight before 21 days from official start date but I don't think that there's a rule regarding it.

May 31, 2019
Hi,
I got my visa approved a couple of days ago and I just want to know when I can enter Canada.

Is it possible that I enter Canada at Toronto on july 22 as my sister resides there and I wish to visit her just for a couple of weeks.
Anyway, my agent is asking me to not book flight before 21 days from official start date but I don't think that there's a rule regarding it.
No you shouldn't go too early

Reactions: Rapan123

myra20sharma

Champion Member
Oct 5, 2018
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
30-05-2018
Hi,

I know people who were sent back from airport since they arrived earlier than their course start date. You don't wanna risk that :)

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi,

There is no such rule, but you must be able to fund yourself from the day you enter Canada till the date your college starts. By CIC estimates that is around 880-900 CAD a month. You must also have a reasonable reason to visit. Unless you will not have time to visit her during your studies. A visa officer would question why you would want to visit your sister earlier, when you would be spending your time in Canada once you arrive for your studies. A round trip flight during the term holidays is not very expensive, at least for Canadian standards.

You can arrive a week or two earlier to start your apartment search/ setting up before college/university starts or to attend orientation. Most other reasons need to be justified. Since it's difficult to know for certain that you will be allowed in, the general advice is to avoid arriving too early, unless you have a really valid reason for coming early.

Border officials have the rights to invalidate your visa or will politely ask you to "withdraw your application to enter Canada" and return to your home country/ where your flight originated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Disagree. There should be no problem arriving 6 weeks before your school starts if you have the money to support yourself until then and you already have a ticket showing you will be leaving Toronto to go to NS.