+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering to Canada with less than 2 years PRC validity

architrato

Nov 30, 2012
Hi experts,
We as a family (Dad, mom and 2 kids), are holding a PR status that will expire on Dec. 2014, currently we're planning to move permanently to Canada by Sept. 2013 with almost 15 months prior to PRC expiration but still less than 2 years. the reason of not meeting residency requirements is that i'm a guardian of my old parents. since early 2011 we were living in a politically troubled country within middle east as it wasn't safe, and still to date is not safe to leave them alone within daily violence and unrest.

my question is:

while entering into Canada, what are the probabilities to be questioned / reported by immigration officer for being outside Canada during that period?
if we'll be reported, is the reason mentioned above can be accepted as an appeal?

thanks,

BR,

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can't you move your parents into a much safer country than your homeland? I have a feeling you would be worrying their safety while you are in Canada this Sept.

When entering Canada, of course, immigration officer will ask you questions.

architrato

Nov 30, 2012
Thanks for the quick response. The possibility to move them in safer country is requiring a visa where its hardly to find for a 65 & 70 yrs old parents, however i'm planning to apply for them a visit visa once i step into Canada to keep them safe for a while.

For such a reason, do you think it will be good enough as an appeal.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not know if it will be good enough to appeal. However, you need return to Canada to keep your PR anyways. So give it a try. Good luck!

Yet, there is no guarantee your parents will get their TRV to Canada (although you can try). For example, my father in law (65) got his after he failed the first time. On the other hand, they can also visit Canada as a tourist. Here's how:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp

I don't suggest you put all eggs in one basket. Explore if there are other countries or regions in terms of visiting requirements are more relax than Canada, so that your parents can live safely while you are in Canada.

architrato

Nov 30, 2012
Thanks for your reply. Back again to my PR, in your experience is a balance of 15 months in PRC can be questioned by the officer at airport or not?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
architrato said:
Thanks for your reply. Back again to my PR, in your experience is a balance of 15 months in PRC can be questioned by the officer at airport or not?
My wife was questioned by an officer at YVR when her PR card still had a balance of 22 months, but the officer let her go without asking her whether she was living with me (the Canadian spouse) outside Canada.

Don't worry, if you encounter a nice officer you might be able to enter Canada with a 3 months balance PR card like this poster:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php