+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada with landing papers

Jes

Dec 10, 2007
Hi,

Sry if the subject came before (I am sure it did, but I had my problems with the search function, so see it as an up for future reference)

My brother in law is a PR, rest of the family are citizens and has been living here for 11 years. He doesn't live here and doesn't intend to apply for citizenship. He always maintains the RO (usually 2,5-3 years in last 5 years) at any time. He is not from a visa exempt country.

The problem: he came here in May to renew his PR card for the second time, which he uses to enter Canada. He hasn't heard anything till now and phone calls didn't help to clear the situation. He planned to stay here until the new card is issued, so he applied the normal way. Now he must leave Canada for an extremely important business issue, that none of his employees can solve.

He was told by friends, that he could travel back via USA and come here with the car and then he just needs to show his landing papers. Is this true?
if not what other alternative does he have? he has just about 7-10 days before he must leave anyway.

Thx in advance

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he cannot wait till the renewal of his PR Card, there is no other option except re-entering via US boarder by private car, if he has a US entry visa. If so, let him keep a copy of his renewal application,fee payment receipt, expired PR card and landing paper (COPR). I don't think there could be any problem for re-entry.

Jes

Dec 10, 2007
thx wilson,

Yes, he has a 10 years visa for the US. And he can't wait.
He decided to fly anyway on Saturday. He'll call the the CIC and inform them.

I'll call them too and ask the same question and see if I maybe get anything from them.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He can leave but it won't help talking to CIC Call Centre agent. They would say perhaps to wait or re-enter with PRTD.

Jes

Dec 10, 2007
Hi again,
Just another question:
Is someone in his situation eligible to apply for a Travel Document (never heard of these before I read this forum), and how long does it usually take to issue one?

Thx

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Jes said:
Hi again,
Just another question:
Is someone in his situation eligible to apply for a Travel Document (never heard of these before I read this forum), and how long does it usually take to issue one?

Thx
He can always apply for a PRTD from wherever it is he is staying. So long as he meets the RO at the time he applies for his PRTD then he should be fine. Every country varies on how long it takes to issue them.