+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada with few days remaining in TRV and Passport

pandehz

Star Member
May 11, 2014
I have a passport which is expiring on 24th august 2015 and a TRV which expires on 24th July 2015

I am in India right now and can i re-enter Canada on the 15th of July?

My situation is such that I am not taking the risk of renewing the passport here in case its not renewed before TRV expires.
I would rather renew it in Canada itself.

Any information on the matter would be appreciated.

bedii

May 8, 2015
This might just be the biggest mistake you've made.
You really expect them to issue you a visa on a passport which's almost expired?
I suggest you get your passport renewed, and then apply for a visa.

pandehz

Star Member
May 11, 2014
I have a visa.

I have a student permit which expires in 2016 after my course.

Also the passport has a TRV which is valid till 24th July.

My concern is if I will get stopped at the airport for entering just 14 days before TRV expires or is there a law where you need to have many more days remaining. Technically even 24 hrs before sounds like it should be possible but I.m not sure what can happen.

My father passed away thats why I had to return in a hurry. Technically I should be able to re-enter the country as the TRV is valid for 14 more days from when I fly there on the 15th.

My 2nd year of the course is starting on end of August so I do have a visa, its purely about the TRV. Im not entirely sure about this.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
When you apply for a visit anywhere especially if you are gonna be there foto a long time you should use a new passport to avoid this... Well since TRV3is only used for getting into the country you should be fine... You might have trouble when you7want7to go back with out a passport... If you can get a new one when in Canada then you should be fine

silent3y3s

Jun 1, 2014
Halifax
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
26-02-2020
Doc's Request.
NO
Interview........
Not required!
pandehz said:
I have a visa.

I have a student permit which expires in 2016 after my course.

Also the passport has a TRV which is valid till 24th July.

My concern is if I will get stopped at the airport for entering just 14 days before TRV expires or is there a law where you need to have many more days remaining. Technically even 24 hrs before sounds like it should be possible but I.m not sure what can happen.

My father passed away thats why I had to return in a hurry. Technically I should be able to re-enter the country as the TRV is valid for 14 more days from when I fly there on the 15th.

My 2nd year of the course is starting on end of August so I do have a visa, its purely about the TRV. Im not entirely sure about this.
I wonder how they issued you trv and study permit more than your passport expiry date because I came here in Canada last month and immigration told me that according to the policy, we cannot issue you study permit more than the validity of your passport but later, you can apply for a new passport and then for a trv.

pandehz

Star Member
May 11, 2014
silent3y3s said:
I wonder how they issued you trv and study permit more than your passport expiry date because I came here in Canada last month and immigration told me that according to the policy, we cannot issue you study permit more than the validity of your passport but later, you can apply for a new passport and then for a trv.
I know it surprised me too.

I think thats why they limited the TRV to passport time remaining but gave full study permit. Maybe study permit is a one time assessment with financial details etc

pandehz

Star Member
May 11, 2014
Wolfpmd3 said:
When you apply for a visit anywhere especially if you are gonna be there foto a long time you should use a new passport to avoid this... Well since TRV3is only used for getting into the country you should be fine... You might have trouble when you7want7to go back with out a passport... If you can get a new one when in Canada then you should be fine
Yup will be applying for a new passport and TRV in Canada

nivmah

Aug 17, 2017
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
26-08-2016
Nomination.....
31-03-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
10-11-2017
Passport Req..
06-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2018
LANDED..........
01-03-2018
Hello,

I just wanted to revive this thread. I am in a similar situation as the OP was. Please let us know if you faced any problems when you flew back to Canada please.

My situation:
My Post grad work permit and TRV expire on December 9th 2017. I will be applying for an extension of my PGWP in the next week as I had not obtained it for the full 3 years as my previous passport was expiring. My new passport is valid up to 2026.

I am planning to go to India in November 2017. If my PGWP is still under processing at that time, when I re-enter Canada on 2nd December 2017 will it be an issue since my TRV is expiring in just a week?

Please advise. Thank you in advance.

nivmah

Aug 17, 2017
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
26-08-2016
Nomination.....
31-03-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
10-11-2017
Passport Req..
06-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2018
LANDED..........
01-03-2018
I have a passport which is expiring on 24th august 2015 and a TRV which expires on 24th July 2015

I am in India right now and can i re-enter Canada on the 15th of July?

My situation is such that I am not taking the risk of renewing the passport here in case its not renewed before TRV expires.
I would rather renew it in Canada itself.

Any information on the matter would be appreciated.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

I just wanted to revive this thread. I am in a similar situation as the OP was. Please let us know if you faced any problems when you flew back to Canada please.

My situation:
My Post grad work permit and TRV expire on December 9th 2017. I will be applying for an extension of my PGWP in the next week as I had not obtained it for the full 3 years as my previous passport was expiring. My new passport is valid up to 2026.

I am planning to go to India in November 2017. If my PGWP is still under processing at that time, when I re-enter Canada on 2nd December 2017 will it be an issue since my TRV is expiring in just a week?

Please advise. Thank you in advance.

sandymadis

Jul 19, 2018
Hi. My apologies for reviewing this old thread. Can someone please share their experience? Will I be able to enter Canada with just 10 days remaining on my TRV? I have PGWP in progress so extension of TRV once inside Canada is not an issue.

pravin86

Jan 2, 2018
Can we enter Canada just 2 days before the TRV expiry date? anyone travelled before, please share their experience.

taan1256

Jan 11, 2023
Hi. My apologies for reviewing this old thread. Can someone please share their experience? Will I be able to enter Canada with just 10 days remaining on my TRV? I have PGWP in progress so extension of TRV once inside Canada is not an issue.
Hello sorry this is late but i am in the same situation and wanted to know if all was good and if there is any where on the official website that says anything either that you found?

sandymadis

Jul 19, 2018
Hello sorry this is late but i am in the same situation and wanted to know if all was good and if there is any where on the official website that says anything either that you found?
I was able to enter but don't recall finding anything on any website. Make sure you check the latest guidelines as things might have changed since then.

Reactions: taan1256