+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada with an expired PR card - urgent please help.

Ovean.mahcine

Sep 24, 2017
Thank you so much, would I have to get a private vehicle to pick me up to cross the boarder? Or could I fly from the US airport to the Canadian one?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You have to cross by land. To board a flight you need the pr card or PRTD. Taxi/private car/rental car to the border, or walk across and taxi or private car on from there. Bobs your uncle!

Ovean.mahcine

Sep 24, 2017
Should there be anything I should worry about at the boarder? I have no criminal record, no requests to leave Canada. I have all my flight tickets, old pr card, passports, work cheque etc.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Should there be anything I should worry about at the boarder? I have no criminal record, no requests to leave Canada. I have all my flight tickets, old pr card, passports, work cheque etc.
You will have no issues. Just show your old card and explain that you applied for renewal months ago but haven't yet received your new card.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
Just the expired PR card should be enough, last 2 weeks time I have crossed the border with expired card to bring a few family members from Seattle and had no issues at all.

Johnny Smith

Sep 28, 2017
I'm in breach of residency obligation and did not apply for SIN card. If I enter Canada from US with my expired PR card,I would have to stay in Canada for two years and then apply for renewal of the PR card. But,how am I going to do all my things during those two years with an expired PR card and with no SIN card ?
How am I going to get SIN number,rent an apartment,apply for a public or private health insurance,get a job,apply for registration and licencing from the regulatory body of my profession,or apply to a college or university for study, or get a driver's licence with my expired PR card ?

R

rish888

I'm in breach of residency obligation and did not apply for SIN card. If I enter Canada from US with my expired PR card,I would have to stay in Canada for two years and then apply for renewal of the PR card. But,how am I going to do all my things during those two years with an expired PR card and with no SIN card ?
How am I going to get SIN number,rent an apartment,apply for a public or private health insurance,get a job,apply for registration and licencing from the regulatory body of my profession,or apply to a college or university for study, or get a driver's licence with my expired PR card ?
Do you have your Confirmation of Permanent Residence/Record of Landing papers? These papers never expire, and you can use them as proof of PR status.

Your CoPR can get you government health insurance, a driver's license, and admission into a university. (So you pay domestic fees.) Stuff like renting an apartment has nothing to do with immigration status.

Your biggest issue here is your SIN. You cannot get a SIN with your record of landing, you can only get it with a valid PR card. Basically is you are not reported at the border and go for the "under the radar for 2 years" route, you will be unable to work.

Are you sure you never got a SIN number?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Do you have your Confirmation of Permanent Residence/Record of Landing papers? These papers never expire, and you can use them as proof of PR status.

Your CoPR can get you government health insurance, a driver's license, and admission into a university. (So you pay domestic fees.) Stuff like renting an apartment has nothing to do with immigration status.
Not quite. For example, while some provinces may issue driver's licences based on a COPR, BC does not. Showing a COPR will only get you a temporary paper licence; you need to show a valid PR card to get a proper licence. It has also been reported by that some colleges/universities only accept valid PR cards as proof of PR status.

Johnny Smith

Sep 28, 2017
Really am not sure.I don't remember whether I applied for SIN number or not. It was long back I don't know what to do. How to find out ?

moonlight86

Oct 17, 2017
Hello all,
Has anyone recently tried to enter Canada by land from US with a Canadian PR? What are the typical questions asked? Is it enough if I only show my Canadian PR? Is it possible the officer don't ask question about meeting Residency obligations? I'm wondering if it is possible to enter to Canada with PR and doesn't get questioned if I meet the residency requirements, in case I don't.
Thanks!