+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada via Buffalo, US

crispichilli

Sep 8, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I completed landing in Feb 2018 and left in early March to wrap up. I was not expecting to move until July/August 2018 however a job opportunity has now presented itself and I have to travel back to Canada obviously without the PR card (as my initial photos were rejected).

I have the following questions:

1. Will it be difficult to convince CBP officer at US Immigration/Customs desk with just a one way ticket to the US? Or should I buy a return ticket from the US as well?

2. Would it be okay to take a private cab from Buffalo to Toronto?

3. Which border crossing would be most suitable to cross the border on a weekday afternoon?

Thanks for your help!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
1.) Not enough info in your question. What do you want to convince US CBP of exactly? What is your status in the US? Nobody can predict what a customs/immigration officer will do in any individual case.
2.) Its legally OK to take a cab to Toronto, but your wallet might object!
3.) Hard to say: Fort Erie gets commercial traffic, Rainbow bridge gets tourists. Queenston?

crispichilli

Sep 8, 2017
Thanks for the reply @links18.

I have US B1/B2 visa. I believe US CBP will need to be convinced that I will not be staying in US. Are US CBP officers generally aware of what CoPR document is? I am just worried that it may not be enough to convince them of my resident status in Canada.

Cab's price is not an issue, my work is footing the bill for it.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks for the reply @links18.

I have US B1/B2 visa. I believe US CBP will need to be convinced that I will not be staying in US. Are US CBP officers generally aware of what CoPR document is? I am just worried that it may not be enough to convince them of my resident status in Canada.

Cab's price is not an issue, my work is footing the bill for it.
Generally speaking, US CBP know what a Canadian COPR is, but again, its hard to predict what a particular officer knows or will do in any given situation. But if you have status in the US, why would you need to convince them you aren't staying? Are you going to Canada for a job interview? Could you provide some evidence of the interview? A business card or something?

crispichilli

Sep 8, 2017
I understand, it's hard to predict for an individual but in general I hope US CBP officers know what CoPR is. I am moving to Toronto permanently to join work. I will be carrying all relevant documents (offer letter, offer acceptance emails and other correspondences with HR)
Hopefully these will be enough.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You have your COPR you will be fine you are a PR. You may want to look into the bus or train. You could also apply for a PRTD and then fly into Canada.

crispichilli

Sep 8, 2017
You have your COPR you will be fine you are a PR. You may want to look into the bus or train. You could also apply for a PRTD and then fly into Canada.
Thanks @canuck78. I did apply for a PRTD on April 2 but am yet to receive it.

I guess Bus or Train will be an issue as one needs to cross the border in a private vehicle.