NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2010, CC 09-09-2010
IELTS Request
Sent - 8.5
Friends,

Hope to receive input to a question i have about PR/Entry to Canada.

- I am/was a Canadian PR with a PR Card which expired in 2017. I only lived in Canada for about 1.5 years in the RO period
- In 2017 i also became US PR
- With no intention to live in Canada anymore, i filed IMM 5783 (application to renounce PR Status) early in 2018 to the Canadian visa office in US but have not received any response
- Now I need to make an urgent visit to Toronto entering through car/land border

My question is would I be allowed entry into Canada, given uncertainty about my PR Status? I do not mind about being reported for RO etc, as i have already filed for a renunciation.

Thanks,

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So by US PR you are now a green card holder ?

Strange as it may seem but often voluntary PR renounce applications often seem to just happen with no acknowledgement.

Even if you arrive at the border and still happen to be a PR you would be entitled as a PR to enter the country even if reported at that stage.

If your PR renounce has processed /completed then of course you will be assessed for entry like any other visitor although having a green card can be advantageous

Last edited:

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
If your PR renounce has processed /completed then of course you will be assessed for entry like any other visitor although having a green card can be advantageous
And one of the things that could factor into the assessment is having previously held Canadian PR, violated residency obligation, etc., i.e. having previously failed to comply with the terms of a Canadian immigration program. I would suppose OP could rebut any concern by explaining the voluntary renunciation of PR status and by demonstrating stable residency and employment in the US, but the POE officer might want to know why someone who has no intention of living in Canada anymore needs to make an urgent trip to Canada, so expect some more invasive questioning at the very least.

thereal26

May 11, 2017
Hello I have withdrawn my PR application and moved to Australia, but I'm having second thoughts. Would it be possible for me to apply for another PR? My open work permit is still valid until next year, if that helps. Thank you very much.

Spicejet

Star Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Sent - 8.5
So by US PR you are now a green card holder ?

Strange as it may seem but often voluntary PR renounce applications often seem to just happen with no acknowledgement.

Even if you arrive at the border and still happen to be a PR you would be entitled as a PR to enter the country even if reported at that stage.

Yes. I have the Green Card now. I believe with a US Green card no visa or eTA is required if entry is via road. I will look to apply for an eTA when i get confirmation that PR is renounced. Hopefully the road method will work.

Spicejet

Star Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Sent - 8.5
And one of the things that could factor into the assessment is having previously held Canadian PR, violated residency obligation, etc., i.e. having previously failed to comply with the terms of a Canadian immigration program. I would suppose OP could rebut any concern by explaining the voluntary renunciation of PR status and by demonstrating stable residency and employment in the US, but the POE officer might want to know why someone who has no intention of living in Canada anymore needs to make an urgent trip to Canada, so expect some more invasive questioning at the very least.
Yes. I am planning to use the US Green card to enter. Based on info available online no eTA is required if a US GC enters by road. Of course it would be up to CBSA to allow me to enter or not based on other criteria they may have. Worst case I will just return back to Buffalo.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Yes. I am planning to use the US Green card to enter. Based on info available online no eTA is required if a US GC enters by road. Of course it would be up to CBSA to allow me to enter or not based on other criteria they may have. Worst case I will just return back to Buffalo.
I would make sure you have proof of employment and proof of residence in the US when you cross.

Spicejet

Star Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Sent - 8.5
Thankfully i received written confirmation that the application to renounce status was approved...