+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada on GC with expired PR Card

smvijay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2005
ETATS-UNIS
Hi,

I got my PR in 2007 and it is expired. I have lived less than 1 yr in Canada and have not met residency obligation. I have renewed my passport from India and it has all blank pages. I have a GC. I am planning to temporarily visit my sister in June.

1. Can I enter Canada on GC without revealing my expired PR status?
2. Is there any way the entry officer can find out about my PR status if I dont reveal it?

Thank you
SMV

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
nothing is hidden
officer will have access to everything

smvijay said:
Hi,

I got my PR in 2007 and it is expired. I have lived less than 1 yr in Canada and have not met residency obligation. I have renewed my passport from India and it has all blank pages. I have a GC. I am planning to temporarily visit my sister in June.

2. Is there any way the entry officer can find out about my PR status if I dont reveal it?

Thank you
SMV

smvijay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2005
ETATS-UNIS
I want to enter and leave Canada for only a week to visit. It would be false pretense if I enter as PR, even if it has not cancelled. If i fill out declaration card as visitor, will they question me about my PR status? Will that create problem? Please suggest the best approach. Thanks

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smvijay said:
I want to enter and leave Canada for only a week to visit. It would be false pretense if I enter as PR, even if it has not cancelled. If i fill out declaration card as visitor, will they question me about my PR status? Will that create problem? Please suggest the best approach. Thanks
If I were you, I would enter as a visitor and if I am questioned I would simply say "I am no longer a PR as my card is expired"

I am very sure you'd be fine.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They may see your PR status from your name on your passport. If they ask about it and if you don't want it any more, you can just tell them you will be happy to fill out a form renouncing it.

thrakos

May 15, 2012
smvijay said:
Hi,

Thank you
SMV
You can enter Canada as long as you have a Valid Passport and GC and as long as you do not have any inadmissibility issues.

the CBSA officer wont bother asking you about your Exp/PR unless he is curious or new.

There is no form specifically for renunciation of PR In Some instances a visitor to Canada may want to relinquish Canadian permanent resident status under special circumstance that does not apply to you. In this case person can send permanent resident card along with a letter stating the intent to relinquishing status (PR) by mail to Ottawa QRC.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is not true.

The OP is still a PR of Canada until a final determination has been made to cancel his/her PR status. The cancellation or relinquishment of PR status needs to be requested at either the visa offices abroad or at ports of entry in Canada (I am not sure if this can be done inside Canada too). Only then he/she can make application for a temporary visitor visa or enter Canada as a visitor without a visa if he/she is exempt.

At the visa office, form IMM 5538B will be provided to the applicant if he/she wishes to relinquish PR status. The best way is to contact the visa office closest to you to inquire about the procedure. Until a final determination has been made on your status, you cannot enter Canada as a visitor.

If you decide to cross by car, declare that you are a PR of Canada. At that point the officer may ask you to prove that and once you do they can let you in without questions, or they may ask if you meet residency requirements and when they find out you don't then they might warn you that your PR status may be cancelled. If that happens they may or may not proceed to to cancel your PR status.

I am not an expert and this is only my opinion.

thrakos

May 15, 2012
there is no form IMM 5538B except at embassies abroad. unless you have a link you share with us?

That is why the requirement to write to relinquishing status (PR) by mail to Ottawa QRC.

BUT in this case the traveler is a GC so no need to worry about since no visa is required for a GC with a valid passport considering no inadmissibility issues.

you may phone CBSA where you are crossing and confirm the above.

CanV said:
That is not true.

The OP is still a PR of Canada until a final determination has been made to cancel his/her PR status. The cancellation or relinquishment of PR status needs to be requested at either the visa offices abroad or at ports of entry in Canada (I am not sure if this can be done inside Canada too). Only then he/she can make application for a temporary visitor visa or enter Canada as a visitor without a visa if he/she is exempt.

At the visa office, form IMM 5538B will be provided to the applicant if he/she wishes to relinquish PR status. The best way is to contact the visa office closest to you to inquire about the procedure. Until a final determination has been made on your status, you cannot enter Canada as a visitor.

If you decide to cross by car, declare that you are a PR of Canada. At that point the officer may ask you to prove that and once you do they can let you in without questions, or they may ask if you meet residency requirements and when they find out you don't then they might warn you that your PR status may be cancelled. If that happens they may or may not proceed to to cancel your PR status.

I am not an expert and this is only my opinion.

smvijay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2005
ETATS-UNIS
thrakos said:
there is no form IMM 5538B except at embassies abroad. unless you have a link you share with us?

That is why the requirement to write to relinquishing status (PR) by mail to Ottawa QRC.

BUT in this case the traveler is a GC so no need to worry about since no visa is required for a GC with a valid passport considering no inadmissibility issues.

you may phone CBSA where you are crossing and confirm the above.
You are absolutely correct. When I entered Canada last week, the officer scanned my GC card and stamped my passport. No questions asked about my former PR status. My guess is that she did not see it in the computer. Also, since the passport is new, the officer was not ticked off my PR stamp.