+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

entering Canada - at last week of IEC or better wait till IEC expires?

ashia

Star Member
Jul 27, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2014
AOR Received.
09-01-2015
File Transfer...
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
29-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-06-2015
LANDED..........
04-07-2015
Hi everybody,
So, we will be finally submitting our application in about 2 weeks (still waiting for files, grrr), and as I have to go to Poland after this, I have pretty important question. My IEC expires on November 3rd or 4th, and I can be back here no earlier then October 29th I think. So I will have very few days of IEC left. Will customs let me in, or can they say it's too late?
I could wait a week or 2 in my country, and go back after IEC expires, with biometric passport, hoping for touristic entry.

Which is better? Which one is more likely to happen without problems?

I thought I would go back these few days before IEC expires, tell them I have to finish some things with my employer and some people I met and I am cooperating on my PhD, and after this I would apply online to extend my IEC as tourist visa, but I just heard on different forum they don't have to let me in when my IEC is finishing, they will want to know if I am extending and why and if I would say my common law app is being processed, they will not let me in cuz apparently I will not leave next week.

Any advices? Yes, I have to go to Poland - PhD and work connected things.

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
I left Canada while my IEC was still valid and returned as a visitor 4 days after my IEC expired. My PR application was in process and I didn't have any trouble coming back. My officer was really nice and didn't ask any questions.

I would enter after your IEC expires, bring proof of your submitted PR application, proof that you stopped working (get a record of employment from your employer), show proof of funds and tell them that you would like to stay with your partner while your PR is being processed.

As a visa-exempt visitor you shouldn't have any problems but it's always up to the officer

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you enter on your IEC, you will need to pay $100 to apply to change your status to visitor prior to your IEC expiring.

Save yourself the money and enter after it expires so that you don't need to change your status.