+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada as Tourist with a pending Work Permit Application?!

Noye

Jan 16, 2013
Dear all,

I am a postdoctoral fellow and applied for a work permit at the Embassy in Vienna about 5 weeks ago. My new job in Vancouver will start in March and I am not sure if my work permit will have arrived by then.
I am from Germany so I do not need a Visa to enter Canada. However, I wonder if it is OK to enter Canada with a pending work permit - so here are my questions:

- If I enter with out a WP will the officer see that I have a pending application in Vienna?
- should I tell the officer that I have a pending application or just enter as a tourist?
- If they see my pending application will this be a problem (e.g. will they let me enter the country?)?
- Is it a problem to leave Canada and re-enter from the US to activate the WP once it has arrived?

It would be great if anyone could give me any advice or share his/her experience!

Pro_Public

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
If you are a citizen of Germany and travel with your passport, meeting all other addmissibility requirement set by CIC/CBSA, you should be fine to just enter as visitor.
Since you have a pending application for WP from outside of Canada, your WP will be processed and if approved letter of issuance of WP will send to the address you gave at the time of application unless you have notified CIC for your entry to Canada as visitor. If you notified CIC of your new address, you can then contact CBSA to find out how you can process your WP at POE depending on where you stay.
CBSA will ask whatever questions they see required and you are to give honest answers.
I would suggest you call the office where you submitted your application to find out.

Iliina

Jul 14, 2013
Hello Noye.
I am in the exact same situation as you describe: could you be so kind and share how things worked out for you in the end? I.e. did you go as a visitor first and then re-entered to process the WP?
Thanks so much!