+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada as a Permanent Resident with PR expiring in August 2019.

ashbon

Jan 22, 2019
Hello, we received our PR in June of 2014 and are citizens of USA, we planned to move to Canada permanently in mid 2017 however a major surgery delayed everything. Thankfully things are better now and we are ready to roll out in march. We have sold our house and belongings and plan to be in Canada permanently. The PR Card expires in August of 2019 and I am just making sure they will not question our entry as we plan to drive in with our personal vehicle with a U-Haul container attached with our personal belongings. In the past since 2014 we have visited every year for about 2-3 weeks but the permanent move got delayed due to health issues.

Kindly provide your expert advice for us so we do not face any issues at the Seattle/Vancouver border upon driving in as permanent residents.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello, we received our PR in June of 2014 and are citizens of USA, we planned to move to Canada permanently in mid 2017 however a major surgery delayed everything. Thankfully things are better now and we are ready to roll out in march. We have sold our house and belongings and plan to be in Canada permanently. The PR Card expires in August of 2019 and I am just making sure they will not question our entry as we plan to drive in with our personal vehicle with a U-Haul container attached with our personal belongings. In the past since 2014 we have visited every year for about 2-3 weeks but the permanent move got delayed due to health issues.

Kindly provide your expert advice for us so we do not face any issues at the Seattle/Vancouver border upon driving in as permanent residents.
So you never officially lived in Canada? Just because your card is valid until August 2019 does not mean you will not be questioned at the border for failing your residency requirements. Maybe others can chime in?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You may have wanted to do a bit of research before selling your house and making these plans. You do not meet the Residency Obligation and do not seem to have any H&C grounds, so you have a very good chance of being reported on entry and losing your PR status.

Tiakapture

Jan 24, 2019
Hi! I have IM 1 visa immigrant from India valid from 15th April 2018 to 14 April 2019. I am planning to travel in feb or March from Delhi as I need to be in Canada before 14th April for my PR card. Can i take one way ticket or I need return ticket as well?
Secondly can I buy my return for October,2019 ? Or return needs to be within 6 months or return ticket should be before then the validity of IM 1 visa. Plz suggest

BYCO

Jan 21, 2014
Saudi Arabia

No one can disallow entry as long as you have valid PR card. They may give you verbal warning or report the case but they cannot stop you from entering Canada. Once you enter you have to stay there for 2 years to meet the residency requirement.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi! I have IM 1 visa immigrant from India valid from 15th April 2018 to 14 April 2019. I am planning to travel in feb or March from Delhi as I need to be in Canada before 14th April for my PR card. Can i take one way ticket or I need return ticket as well?
Secondly can I buy my return for October,2019 ? Or return needs to be within 6 months or return ticket should be before then the validity of IM 1 visa. Plz suggest
Hi

You don't need a return ticket.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No one can disallow entry as long as you have valid PR card. They may give you verbal warning or report the case but they cannot stop you from entering Canada. Once you enter you have to stay there for 2 years to meet the residency requirement.
OP is not yet a PR.

I suggest you do some research on the Residency Obligation. OP does NOT need to stay for 2 years once they enter.