+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter with tourist visa while waiting for study permit?

Roro75

Aug 21, 2018
Hello everyone!

I've talked to my consultant to find a solution since I have already changed my plane tickets from 29th to 2nd Sept and I'm still waiting for my Study Permit Approval and an OWP for my husband.

They told us we can get Tourists visas and when we arrive there explain that we have to look for a place to live and we want to be in Canada since classes start 4th sept.
Would they let me through if I explain my case? Because my fear is that me going early will damage my student application... However, I do need to find a place and changing my plane again is gonna cost a lot of more money now u.u

Anyone on this situation?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to clarify that assuming you are on a visa exempt passport with an ETA (which is not a visa just allows you to board a plane) that you plan to travel on a one way ticket assuming the airline in the first instance does not have an issue with boarding with a one way or CBSA have an issue as well.

There is of course no way to predict whether CBSA will grant you entry as a visitor or entry for a specific period given a study permit in process is simply that in process and worst case could be refused still.

Have you checked with the college what happens if you do not have a study permit by start of classes which seems a likely scenario plus is Labor Day weekend this weekend ? Will the college regard you as a no show given lack of study permit ?

In hindsight general advice always on here for any type of visa is to never book any air ticket until a visa has been approved. Just because the immigration site quotes a process time that is not a commitment

Last edited:

Roro75

Aug 21, 2018
I'm travelling from Spain which if you go for tourism only needs to have a ETA (no visa on passport) I don't know of this is exactly what you are refering too.
I have a returning ticket for 10th December (which I can change in case they don't let me entry into Canada).

I have already warned my University and they told me I have to be there on 7th September mandatory. I aldo informed them of my intention and told me that they think it's a good plan.

I can't change my plane tickets again so, I'll have to go with this option. I don't know I'm very worried...

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I'm travelling from Spain which if you go for tourism only needs to have a ETA (no visa on passport) I don't know of this is exactly what you are refering too.
I have a returning ticket for 10th December (which I can change in case they don't let me entry into Canada).

I have already warned my University and they told me I have to be there on 7th September mandatory. I aldo informed them of my intention and told me that they think it's a good plan.

I can't change my plane tickets again so, I'll have to go with this option. I don't know I'm very worried...
How can you start classes without a study permit? Universities bylaw requires all international student to provide a copy of a study permit before they can let them register for classes.

Roro75

Aug 21, 2018
How can you start classes without a study permit? Universities bylaw requires all international student to provide a copy of a study permit before they can let them register for classes.
I can't start classes until I have my permit but I can be in Canada by the time, go to a border and get my passport stamped so I can start my classes as soon as I get it.
My proceeding time has been exceeded and I have been waiting for a month foe my permit (processing time in spain is 3 weeks).

It's not ideal but I can't lose my tickets and second changes are not available they told me.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I can't start classes until I have my permit but I can be in Canada by the time, go to a border and get my passport stamped so I can start my classes as soon as I get it.
My proceeding time has been exceeded and I have been waiting for a month foe my permit (processing time in spain is 3 weeks).

It's not ideal but I can't lose my tickets and second changes are not available they told me.
There is always a chance you may get a refusal for your study permit so plan accordingly.

Roro75

Aug 21, 2018
There is always a chance you may get a refusal for your study permit so plan accordingly.
Yeah I know... But right now, if I go with the ETA and get in, I can start looking for an apartment and be there in casw they approve my permit and don't lose my plane tickets.
If they don't let me inside then I change my tickets and come back to my home and lost it.

At this moment, I have nothing to lose I guess...

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Yeah I know... But right now, if I go with the ETA and get in, I can start looking for an apartment and be there in casw they approve my permit and don't lose my plane tickets.
If they don't let me inside then I change my tickets and come back to my home and lost it.

At this moment, I have nothing to lose I guess...
Well renting an apartment without knowing you will be staying long term is a bad idea. Most rental companies and owners require a security deposit paid first before giving you the apartment. Just make sure you don't sign a 6 months or 12 months lease otherwise you will have to pay all of the rent for the leasing period. Try to find a month to month lease apartment.

Roro75

Aug 21, 2018
Well renting an apartment without knowing you will be staying long term is a bad idea. Most rental companies and owners require a security deposit paid first before giving you the apartment. Just make sure you don't sign a 6 months or 12 months lease otherwise you will have to pay all of the rent for the leasing period. Try to find a month to month lease apartment.
Yes that's what I was thinking. Rent a month and then once we know for sure if we are staying then looking for another place or something.

I just feel so desperate and lost...

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Yes that's what I was thinking. Rent a month and then once we know for sure if we are staying then looking for another place or something.

I just feel so desperate and lost...
You can always try to rent a AirBnB place first. If you do get approved then find a cheaper place after or even one that is close to your university.

Roro75

Aug 21, 2018
You can always try to rent a AirBnB place first. If you do get approved then find a cheaper place after or even one that is close to your university.
That's actually a good idea too. I'll look into it. I have 5 days hotel already booked... let's see how this works out.
Thanks for your help :)