+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter Canada with work permit + visa while waiting for PR card

Sep 10, 2020
Hi everyone,

I got my COPR though CEC in early September and have been waiting for the PR card for more than 2 months. I have a 1-week vacation plan coming up next week, i booked it long ago. So i wonder if I can still enter Canada with my current work permit + visa, although i have now received COPR (but not yet received the PR card). Thanks a lot!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

I got my COPR though CEC in early September and have been waiting for the PR card for more than 2 months. I have a 1-week vacation plan coming up next week, i booked it long ago. So i wonder if I can still enter Canada with my current work permit + visa, although i have now received COPR (but not yet received the PR card). Thanks a lot!
I'm assuming that you will be flying somewhere vs. traveling to the US by land. If so, the short answer is that you most likely will not be allowed to board the flight home by the airline since your work permit and TRV will show canceled in the system (this generally happens automatically once you land and become a PR). Almost certainly, you will need either a valid PR card or valid PRTD in order to board a plane to fly back to Canada.

If you happen to be traveling to the US by car, the answer will be different.

Sep 10, 2020
I'm assuming that you will be flying somewhere vs. traveling to the US by land. If so, the short answer is that you most likely will not be allowed to board the flight home by the airline since your work permit and TRV will show canceled in the system (this generally happens automatically once you land and become a PR). Almost certainly, you will need either a valid PR card or valid PRTD in order to board a plane to fly back to Canada.

If you happen to be traveling to the US by car, the answer will be different.
Thank you so much for the information!

Yes I will be on a plane and not to US ... the trip is only 1 week so hard to get a valid PRTD while im abroad... I guess i have to cancel my trip and wait until i get the actual PR card then

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for the information!

Yes I will be on a plane and not to US ... the trip is only 1 week so hard to get a valid PRTD while im abroad... I guess i have to cancel my trip and wait until i get the actual PR card then
The only other option is to fly back to the US on the way home (assuming you have a visa that allows you to enter the US) and then to re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle. Otherwise you risk getting stuck outside of Canada while you wait for a PRTD.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Simple answer is:
If it's a 1 week trip flying directly to Canada, you NEED your PR card or a PRTD. The chance of getting PRTD is very low within a week.

Cancel the trip or rebook to enter via US (assuming that you have US visa) so you can use COPR to cross land border.

NovemberSnow

Star Member
Oct 6, 2020
I have a similar question, on my eCOPR it says that this is not valid for travel (a watermark on the document). So I believe I cannot even cross the US/Canada border back with only this document.

But I have a BOWP that is ending next year, it it cancelled now that I have my eCOPR ? First time I hear something like this, do you have any information @legalfalcon ?

Thank you!

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
I have a similar question, on my eCOPR it says that this is not valid for travel (a watermark on the document). So I believe I cannot even cross the US/Canada border back with only this document.

But I have a BOWP that is ending next year, it it cancelled now that I have my eCOPR ? First time I hear something like this, do you have any information @legalfalcon ?

Thank you!
You have to understand two things. First, COPR cannot be used to travel, you need a PR card. Second, COPR does not expire, it is proof of your PR status in Canada. However, for those who are outside Canada, upon receiving a COPR have to land and be admitted into Canada before the expiry date mentioned on the COPR.

If you want to travel to Canada you will have to show a PR card, without which you will not be allowed to board a place or any commercial vehicle.

However, if you are entering Canada via a land border with the US, in a private vehicle (non-commercial), you can do so only with a COPR. When you show up at the order, you will be asked to go to the secondary inspection (the office). There the Border Services Officer will examine you, and your documents. After determining that you are indeed a PR, you will be allowed to enter.

This is a standard procedure for anyone who shows up at the border. They are examined, and based on their status are allowed into Canada.

Reactions: NovemberSnow

NovemberSnow

Star Member
Oct 6, 2020
You have to understand two things. First, COPR cannot be used to travel, you need a PR card. Second, COPR does not expire, it is proof of your PR status in Canada. However, for those who are outside Canada, upon receiving a COPR have to land and be admitted into Canada before the expiry date mentioned on the COPR.

If you want to travel to Canada you will have to show a PR card, without which you will not be allowed to board a place or any commercial vehicle.

However, if you are entering Canada via a land border with the US, in a private vehicle (non-commercial), you can do so only with a COPR. When you show up at the order, you will be asked to go to the secondary inspection (the office). There the Border Services Officer will examine you, and your documents. After determining that you are indeed a PR, you will be allowed to enter.

This is a standard procedure for anyone who shows up at the border. They are examined, and based on their status are allowed into Canada.

Thank you @legalfalcon , but is my BOWP now cancelled since I landed (inland, so I have eCOPR)? I mean, I can't use it to enter Canada, let alone the exception of land borders of US?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thank you @legalfalcon , but is my BOWP now cancelled since I landed (inland, so I have eCOPR)? I mean, I can't use it to enter Canada, let alone the exception of land borders of US?
The day you receive a signed COPR if you are in Canada, or upon landing in Canada with a COPR, all pending visas are cancelled. Afte you become a PR, you DO NOT need a visa to enter Caanda.

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
The day you receive a signed COPR if you are in Canada, or upon landing in Canada with a COPR, all pending visas are cancelled. Afte you become a PR, you DO NOT need a visa to enter Caanda.
@legalfalcon

On a similar note, I have a question and appreciate if you could clarify:

My employer is planning to do a Closed WP for me in the next few months. However, I already submitted my eAPR (AOR: July 6, 2021) and anticipating my PPR in the next few months. My question is, will my ongoing PR process have any influence on the IRCC's decision for my Closed WP ?

Also, lets say:

1. I get my PPR / COPR first and my Closed WP application is still in progress. Would IRCC approve the WP inspite of seeing that my PR is approved already or would it be denied ?
2. If my WP gets approved first and I get my PR later, would the approved WP have any effect on the PR process ?

I understand that if I have both my stamped WP and approved COPR, it is my choice upon which one to use and activate when landing in Canada (lets say via US border), Is my understanding correct ?

Last edited:

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
@legalfalcon

On a similar note, I have a question and appreciate if you could clarify:

My employer is planning to do a Closed WP for me in the next few months. However, I already submitted my eAPR (AOR: July 6, 2021) and anticipating my PPR in the next few months. My question is, will my ongoing PR process have any influence on the IRCC's decision for my Closed WP ?

Also, lets say:

1. I get my PPR / COPR first and my Closed WP application is still in progress. Would IRCC approve the WP inspite of seeing that my PR is approved already or would it be denied ?
2. If my WP gets approved first and I get my PR later, would the approved WP have any effect on the PR process ?

I understand that if I have both my stamped WP and approved COPR, it is my choice upon which one to use and activate when landing in Canada (lets say via US border), Is my understanding correct ?
@legalfalcon Can you please assist with this ? Thanks!

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon Can you please assist with this ? Thanks!

Each application is processed on its own merits.

If you receive a COPR, all pending visa applications and existing visas are cancelled as you become a PR and do not need a visa.

Reactions: bluehorse