10-12-2011
Med's Request
4-4-2012
Med's Done....
28-4-2012
Passport Req..
5-12-2012
hi,
i did my landing and officer at border i remember telling me that i can enter from US to Canada using the COPR document. i stayed in Canada for few days and came back to US and i have applied for PR card while landing. After 40 days i received a communication saying that the photograph i have provided is not meeting the requirements for them to issue PR card, so they have asked me to submit a new set of photographs.
i have 2 questions here
1. can i enter from US to Canada using COPR? if yes can i fly or drive?
2. how long will they take to process PR card after i send the new set of photographs and right now i am in US and i couldn't find some one who can put a stamp on back of photograph, is that ok if i a take picture from Walgreen or Walmart and send it to them?

your inputs are much appreciated as i am planning to travel between us and Canada frequently because of my job so applying travel document is not a right choice for me.

chappan

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Hello,

Yes, as long as COPR copy is attached to your passport and you are still within one year of completing your landing, you can go to Canada by road. You can't fly though. Make sure you have visa stamped to re-enter the US. Otherwise, you can also use AVR which does not require your passport to be stamped. The only condition of AVR is that you'll have to return within 30 days and can't go to any other country while in Canada.

Regarding photographs. I had the exact same issue. It doesn't matter where you get your pics done. However, please note that Walgreens, CVS, Sears or any other stores don't do pics per Canadian PR card specifications. I lived in Michigan when I ran into this issue. I went to a private photographer. He took my pics using standard DSLR and modified in Photoshop per Canadian specifications. I sent the pics to CIC and within 2-3 weeks I got my PR cards delivered to the Canadian address I provided at the time of landing.

I don't think there is any stamp required at the back of photo. All you need is Name and DOB at the back of pics. In my case this is what I did, my wife created small passport photo size envelops for each of our family members. Along with writing our names and DOB at the back of pics, we also put name, height, DOB and age on the envelop themselves. It (writing info on envelops) doesn't hurt nor is this a requirement but we thought to do it anyway. It worked for us. I am sure, it'll work for you as well. Writing Name and DOB at the back of pics is mandatory. Read the instructions and it'll tell you whatever you need to do.

Don't take any stress of it. It's really a small thing. Your biggest challenge is to find a photographer who can do Canadian size pic. My personal recommendation is, instead of wasting time on Walgreens or CVS, search Google and see if you have any private photographer in your area. Call each of them and tell them your situation. These days all photographers know how to modify pics in Photoshop.

Good Luck!

uscana

Feb 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2010
AOR Received.
5-12-2010
File Transfer...
10-12-2011
Med's Request
4-4-2012
Med's Done....
28-4-2012
Passport Req..
5-12-2012
Thanks Chappen for your reply. it's really helpful. i will try to find some one local as per your advice. i did my landing in jan this year so i can travel with COPR without any issues by road. When you say road, can i use grey hound bus service to enter? or it has to be only car?

mhkumar

Jun 17, 2009
chappan said:
Yes, as long as COPR copy is attached to your passport and you are still within one year of completing your landing, you can go to Canada by road.
I completed my landing 02-July-2011 (more than 1 year ago). And I have lost my COPR. Can I use copy of my COPR to enter Canada from US by private vehicle?