+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter Canada 3 months before start of program?

MedicStudent

Apr 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

I have been accepted into a college degree program in Alberta which starts Fall 2016. My study permit application has been accepted and I was wondering how much time in advance I can enter Canada. It is not my first time studying in Canada, and last time I entered 2 weeks prior the start of classes. However, this time my situation is completely different.

My Canadian girlfriend is relocating with me from Hamilton, Ontario to Alberta. Since that we have to find an appartement, get a car etc. I wanted to join her in Hamilton early June. I want to stay there for one week and then continue our journey together by plane to Alberta. I have sufficient financial ressources for the three additional months I plan to stay in Canada.

I know, only the CBSA Officer I'm going to see the day of entry will know for sure if he/she will issue my study permit or not. I just wanted to know your opinions, if I will have any problems at the point of entry.

Thank you :)

zuif

Star Member
Sep 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just convince the CBSA officer of your genuine intentions and you should be fine, since you already had been in Canada before, you should be welcomed again.

loo1201

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
01-05-2020
AOR Received.
12-05-2020
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2021
MedicStudent said:
Has anyone else an opinion about this ?
Why wouldnt you be allowed to?

MedicStudent

Apr 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
loo1201 said:
Why wouldnt you be allowed to?
I'm scared that the may think that I'm too early and that they send me back. It would be nice to hear about other's people experience...

loo1201

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
01-05-2020
AOR Received.
12-05-2020
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2021
MedicStudent said:
I'm scared that the may think that I'm too early and that they send me back. It would be nice to hear about other's people experience...
I dont think you would be a risk for the country anyway, its not like you could overstay or something, you still have a visa that allows you to stay on the territory legally.

MedicStudent

Apr 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did anyone go to Canada a few months before their start of studies ? How was your experience?

hatice

Jul 5, 2014
pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
one of my friend got there in December 2015 and his class is starting in coming September.. so i say u can totally go there early

MedicStudent

Apr 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is it better do have someone you know picking you up at the airport? Just in case they want to ask additional question?

Jayl

Aug 12, 2013
Hi guys, I was going to ask a similar question. I am planning to go to Canada 4 months in advance (early May). I am attending a conference there in early June just for 1 day, but got my application for the September semester already approved, so I thought why not enter Canada as a student rather than a visitor. I was a bit concerned that I might be turned back at the airport. I guess I don't have to worry about it so much? I have enough funds to show immigration if they ever ask for one.

angel0214

Star Member
Nov 8, 2015
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
08 Dec 2017
AOR Received.
24 Jan 2018
I have the same question too but in my case, I'm planning to go to Canada possibly May 5th or May 11th which will be around 1.5months before my start date for school (June 27th).

Hope others can share their experience too :)