13-10-2017
Med's Request
04-10-2017
Med's Done....
06-10-2017
Passport Req..
22-12-2017
Hi all,

I'm about to start my application for outland family class sponsorship.

A little background on my relationship : I am French currently studying my masters in Canada, and we met in Europe 1year and 8months ago and we've been married for a 11 months. We never lived together but we visited each other a lot (at least once a month even in Europe) and we're now both together in Canada even though we don't live in the same city. My concern is that only a few friends of his and mine know about our relationship and my parents don't know we're married, for personal reasons. Is that a problem ?

I'd like to get your opinion about the proofs I intend to use to show that our relationship is genuine :
- Photos of our wedding
- Photos with his friends (in France and Canada)
- Photos of us that we took during our trips and visits
- Letters from our friends
- Joint bank account
- Tons of flight tickets and bus tickets
- Cards sent to each others when travelling
- emails and tons of Whatsapp logs...

However since we've never lived together we don't have government issued documents showing the same address nor do we have important documents (insurance...) stating that I'm recognized as his spouse. Is this really a concern? He's trying to add me on his health insurance plan but considering that I'm living in QC and him in ON, this will be complicated.

Can somebody give me her/his opinion on my situation ?

Thanks a lot .

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi all,

I'm about to start my application for outland family class sponsorship.

A little background on my relationship : I am French currently studying my masters in Canada, and we met in Europe 1year and 8months ago and we've been married for a 11 months. We never lived together but we visited each other a lot (at least once a month even in Europe) and we're now both together in Canada even though we don't live in the same city. My concern is that only a few friends of his and mine know about our relationship and my parents don't know we're married, for personal reasons. Is that a problem ?

I'd like to get your opinion about the proofs I intend to use to show that our relationship is genuine :
- Photos of our wedding
- Photos with his friends (in France and Canada)
- Photos of us that we took during our trips and visits
- Letters from our friends
- Joint bank account
- Tons of flight tickets and bus tickets
- Cards sent to each others when travelling
- emails and tons of Whatsapp logs...

However since we've never lived together we don't have government issued documents showing the same address nor do we have important documents (insurance...) stating that I'm recognized as his spouse. Is this really a concern? He's trying to add me on his health insurance plan but considering that I'm living in QC and him in ON, this will be complicated.

Can somebody give me her/his opinion on my situation ?

Thanks a lot .
Some more senior members may jump in, but I would say that yes, there are a few red flags here....never have lived together, parents do not know, only a few friends know...also, you say there is nothing recognizing you as spouses, do you not have a marriage certificate?

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
I would say not many people, especially your parents not knowing is an issue - why? CIC will question that. not living together and have been married for 11 months, seems odd, however if you can prove that youve been strudying in a different city, im sure that will be fine. Remember that there are STRICT guidelines as to the proof that CIC wants. i would read the checklist over and make sure -- no more than 20 photos, no more than 10 pages of chat logs, specific information needed for proof of relationship (listed on the check list).

VinceJH

Jul 5, 2017
Montréal, QC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
09-08-2017
Doc's Request.
28-09-2017
AOR Received.
27-09-2017
File Transfer...
13-10-2017
Med's Request
04-10-2017
Med's Done....
06-10-2017
Passport Req..
22-12-2017
Some more senior members may jump in, but I would say that yes, there are a few red flags here....never have lived together, parents do not know, only a few friends know...also, you say there is nothing recognizing you as spouses, do you not have a marriage certificate?
Our parents don't know for reasons that I have clearly explained in the application : we are a same sex couple and our parents are very conservative, also I still financially depend on my parents' money for my education which would put me at risk.
Yes we do have a marriage certification, but it seems that other documents must also be provided like for example being attached to my spouse's insurance plan....

I would say not many people, especially your parents not knowing is an issue - why? CIC will question that. not living together and have been married for 11 months, seems odd, however if you can prove that youve been strudying in a different city, im sure that will be fine. Remember that there are STRICT guidelines as to the proof that CIC wants. i would read the checklist over and make sure -- no more than 20 photos, no more than 10 pages of chat logs, specific information needed for proof of relationship (listed on the check list).
As I have explained above, we are a same sex couple and still in the closet so we share that only with close friends.
Also, I came to Canada on August 2016 and my spouse was supposed to join too, but he got accepted to a medical resident program in the US and had no choice but to go there until he gets accepted back to Canada after applying again. So he just came back, and in the meantime I've engaged myself in a master's degree program in Montreal so I must stay in Quebec province to complete my program. But we visit each other every week in Ottawa. So the whole situation checks out but I admit it could bring so many redflags, while being a genuine relationship.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Our parents don't know for reasons that I have clearly explained in the application : we are a same sex couple and our parents are very conservative, also I still financially depend on my parents' money for my education which would put me at risk.
Yes we do have a marriage certification, but it seems that other documents must also be provided like for example being attached to my spouse's insurance plan....

As I have explained above, we are a same sex couple and still in the closet so we share that only with close friends.
Also, I came to Canada on August 2016 and my spouse was supposed to join too, but he got accepted to a medical resident program in the US and had no choice but to go there until he gets accepted back to Canada after applying again. So he just came back, and in the meantime I've engaged myself in a master's degree program in Montreal so I must stay in Quebec province to complete my program. But we visit each other every week in Ottawa. So the whole situation checks out but I admit it could bring so many redflags, while being a genuine relationship.
I'm not sure about this one. It may be for more senior members, as I said above, or a consultant. There are red flags and coupled with that you may not be able to provide documentation asked for in the checklist, it may be an issue. For us, we provided marriage cert, lease agreement, joint bank, and spouse on benefits. There is a list of things you can choose from to provide and if you come short on those, it could be an issue.

japt

Oct 5, 2015
Regarding living together... My husband and I had been married 10 months when we applied and we also never lived together. Got a positive decision made within 5 months. No interview or anything.
If you can provide a decent explanation as to why (especially since you both live in Canada), you should be OK. And of course a well written explanation as to why your parents don't know about it.

We also didn't have any accounts together.

Of course, I'm not saying that it automatically means your experience will be the same, but based on mine, not having accounts together and never having lived together doesn't automatically mean refusal.

Last edited:

VinceJH

Jul 5, 2017
Montréal, QC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
09-08-2017
Doc's Request.
28-09-2017
AOR Received.
27-09-2017
File Transfer...
13-10-2017
Med's Request
04-10-2017
Med's Done....
06-10-2017
Passport Req..
22-12-2017
I'm not sure about this one. It may be for more senior members, as I said above, or a consultant. There are red flags and coupled with that you may not be able to provide documentation asked for in the checklist, it may be an issue. For us, we provided marriage cert, lease agreement, joint bank, and spouse on benefits. There is a list of things you can choose from to provide and if you come short on those, it could be an issue.
Thank you for your help. We will try our best to get me on his insurance benefits then.

Regarding living together... My husband and I had been married 10 months when we applied and we also never lived together. Got a positive decision made within 5 months. No interview or anything.
If you can provide a decent explanation as to why (especially since you both live in Canada), you should be OK. And of course a well written explanation as to why your parents don't know about it.

We also didn't have any accounts together.

Of course, I'm not saying that it automatically means your experience will be the same, but based on mine, not having accounts together and never having lived together doesn't automatically mean refusal.
Thanks for you answer ! Yes if have good reasons not to have live together, and he actually came back to live in Canada last week while I've been here for almost a year for studies. So I'll detail this all in a letter joint with the application forms.