English skills for citizenship

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi All,

I gave IELTS exams in year 2017 and retained the scanned copy of the results.
subsequently I gave CElPIP in year 2018 which I referenced for supporting my PR application. I have discarded this document upon receipt of PR.

for purposes of citizenship can I use my IELTS exam score or this document needs to be same as one I used for my immigration (CELPIP)

just want to avoid giving another exam now

regards

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi All,

subsequently I gave CElPIP in year 2018 which I referenced for supporting my PR application. I have discarded this document upon receipt of PR.

for purposes of citizenship can I use my IELTS exam score or this document needs to be same as one I used for my immigration (CELPIP)

regards
Old IELTS is ok. I used mine from 2010 in 2018 when applying for citizenship.

Reactions: gaurav1282

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi All,

regards
You can only use IELTS if it is the General exam. If it is the Academic, you cannot use it.

it does not matter if it was used for your PR application or not. Just as long as it’s among the accepted language proof.

Reactions: gaurav1282

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Perfect, that’s what I was wondering that it should not matter that I use old document not used in PR

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Perfect, that’s what I was wondering that it should not matter that I use old document not used in PR
The language test proof appears to be one of the most frequently requested documents if you receive a personal interview - after the citizenship test stage. They ask to show the physical copy of the test result mailed out by the testing agency.

So whichever physical, original copy you have, you can go with that. And make sure to retain it until the citizenship process is complete.

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
The language test proof appears to be one of the most frequently requested documents if you receive a personal interview - after the citizenship test stage. They ask to show the physical copy of the test result mailed out by the testing agency.

So whichever physical, original copy you have, you can go with that. And make sure to retain it until the citizenship process is complete.
oh I see, I don’t think I have original physical copy. Just a scanned copy which I retained. Doesnt that work

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
oh I see, I don’t think I have original physical copy. Just a scanned copy which I retained. Doesnt that work
Copy will work. I submitted the original IELTS document when applying for PR and used a photocopy for citizenship. If you have an interview, the conversation with the officer will be stronger evidence of your English language skills than a sheet of paper.

One can have a IELTS band of 8 but still not be able to converse in English, if you have followed the news of a recent court case and subsequent investigation in the US :)

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
that sounds reasonable, honestly i find the immigration process more reasonable where sometimes you explain case using letter of explanation and officers take note of it. Rightly said ilets or CElPIP is just piece of paper and you can be terrible in language even after scoring high

thanks for ur advice, it’s really helpful

Reactions: akbardxb