+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

English only speaker -> PR on the French side..

EnglishRN84

Aug 16, 2011
Hi there,

I am interested in moving to Canada, and would like to live on the French speaking side - I do not speak French at the moment BUT I am very keen to learn in order to work and live my life as fully as possible!

I am registered nurse in the UK, trained at Diploma level and I have 2.5 years experience in the profession. My most recent job has been in pharmaceuticals, working as a research nurse. I am aware that Montreal has many pharma companies, so I have that particular city in mind as a location I'd like to move to.

My questions are -

Is there anyone out there who immigrated to a city on the east side? Did you manage to learn French, and/or did you find a job that only requires you to speak English?

How long did it take you to learn French?? I know, it can depend on the individual I guess, but still I am interested in hearing from you :) I did learn French at school, but at that time I had little interest to really study the language. Now, having traveled alittle, I realise that I have a better understanding of languages and how words are constructed i.e. masc/fem influence etc...

What is the best way to get there?? Apply PR or another route?

Once you get PR/visa can you study also? Can you get access to funding to help support your studies?? I'd like to convert my Diploma to Degree at somepoint, and continue learning French of course.

Ty :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If this is your plan, you should be starting French lessons now, the sooner the better. You could apply for PR through Quebec skilled worker once you know some French. Another option would be to try to get a job offer and go on a work permit. Yet another to apply for a working holiday if you are still at the right age and use that one year open work permit to find an employer who will help you stay when the year is up.

Once you have PR, you have the right to work or study and you have the same access to student loans as Canadians.

EnglishRN84

Aug 16, 2011
Thank you so much for your reply - this is wonderful. I have actually been given an opportunity to travel over to Montreal for a couple of months from the end of September (between jobs), during which I am plannning to attend intensive french lessons at an organised school. I did learn French at school and I am sure/hoping that some of it will flood back to me after a few lessons!

Once I've been and had a chance to take in the City/surroundings I'll get back and look into PR/work permit. Would it be better to wait till early next year to apply or should I apply straight away? So, once you have PR you could effectively go on to study French with some sort of loan?

I am a registered Nurse in the UK, however I believe the 'rules' are different in Canada; a Diploma or a Degree determines whether you can work as a Registered Nurse or a Licence Practice Nurse. Although I am not sure about the French speaking side.. I need to look into this. I would have to sit an exam before starting work in nursing - how easy would it be to find work in any unrelated field whilst I prepare for exam/learn French??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are the right age for a working holiday, they are out of visas for 2011 but the 2012 program will open either late this year or in January. That means 1 year open work permit.

I do not know how the employment market is in Quebec. What little I have been there, I have gotten the feeling that many people don't speak English or don't want to so that would affect you getting a survival job. I assume you would definitely need good French if you want to work as a nurse in Quebec.

If you apply for PR, you would have the same right in Canada as Canadians except you can't vote but I am not sure you'd get student loans to study French where it is the primary language. Most people take evening classes and work alongside or you could take courses in the day and work alongside them on the weekends and evenings.

EnglishRN84

Aug 16, 2011
I am 27, so hopefully I'm not too old to apply :) Would it be possible to apply for a 1 year work permit and start/do the PR also, at the same time? Would be great if this is possible... otherwise I would like to just apply for the PR.. any ideas on timelines? Can I apply for PR in the next few months or should I wait till January?

Thanks again :)

EnglishRN84

Aug 16, 2011
Oh.. forgot to ask - what should I pack for staying in Montreal during October/November?? I'm imagining it to be pretty cold/Freezing - thermals all round?? :eek:

PommeDeRoute

Star Member
Feb 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I'm American and immigrated to Montreal. It's really a great place to be with a thriving social life, a young, laid-back attitude and lots of educational opportunities.

Regarding French: When you get here, sign up for the free government sponsored French classes. If you go through all three levels, you will be functional at the very least when you are done. The rest is up to you. Here, immigrants tend to integrate either into the English community (Americans, Egyptians, Indians, Chinese etc.) or the French side (Haitians, Moroccans, people from Congo, Senegal etc.) You will need to make an effort to integrate into the French side not only for cultural reasons, but because you will find that people (francophones) often speak English as a reflex. For example: The other day we were in a restaurant and the waiter (francophone) actually apologized for speaking French when he heard my English accent! I told him it was OK to speak French...We are in Quebec after all! Find francophone friends who speak only French or very little English (rare but not impossible) and hang out with them as much as possible.

The reality of Montreal is that you will never entirely get away from English, even if you try. You are bombarded with English TV, books, magazines etc. If you really want to learn French fast, you should go someplace like Quebec City or even smaller places like Rimouski. In these places you will be forced to speak French all the time. That is what you really need. I have been here for three years and I work in both official languages and am doing a BA in translation, but I know my French will never really be perfect because I speak English too often.

Financial aid for school is easy to get here. You will get a little less than enough to cover the cost of your studies. The government wants to make sure that students pay their fair share. If you want to study full time, you will either need a part-time job, private loans to supplement financial aid, or you will need to be independently wealthy.

Regarding what to wear: The standard Canadian winter wardrobe should suffice. Bring a good jacket, scarf, gloves, boots and, of course, the famous tuque.

I will never regret moving here. Salaries are lower than in the States, but life here has an intensity that I have never experienced anywhere else. It makes it all worth it.

Best of luck.

Pd.R.

EnglishRN84

Aug 16, 2011
Thank you soo much, its lovely to hear about your life/move to Montreal. It makes me feel even more excited and optimistic about moving and my future :)

I have a very diverse group of friends here in London, none of them originally from England/Britain infact. So I have no problems looking to meet and mix with others.. I just hope I can get my French up and running in order to do so :)

I have no idea what a 'tuque' is, so I'll be googling that in a moment. If it keeps the cold out then I'll be sure to have one/two at the ready for my trip in October!