+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

English Language Requirements for UK citizen applying for Canadian citizenship

arsboy007

Oct 8, 2018
Hi All,

I am eligible to apply for canadian citizenship and wanted to see if I would still need to give an english test?

I am originally a Pakistani nationalnwho moved to England and acquired British citizenship via naturalization and gave an english test there for that application. My O Levels and Alevels exams in Pakistan were based on the curriculum taught in the UK and the exams were also in English. The certificate was issued by GCE in the UK for those exams.

I haven't done any schooling in England or went to a university. Given I now have a British passport to which my PR is also tied to, do I still need to give IELTS or CELPIP?

Also, can the citizenship be given after the English test or it can also be done before?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi All,

I am eligible to apply for canadian citizenship and wanted to see if I would still need to give an english test?

I am originally a Pakistani nationalnwho moved to England and acquired British citizenship via naturalization and gave an english test there for that application. My O Levels and Alevels exams in Pakistan were based on the curriculum taught in the UK and the exams were also in English. The certificate was issued by GCE in the UK for those exams.

I haven't done any schooling in England or went to a university. Given I now have a British passport to which my PR is also tied to, do I still need to give IELTS or CELPIP?

Also, can the citizenship be given after the English test or it can also be done before?

Thank you.
1. You would either have to prove
Did you or do you attend a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French?

The program can be in or outside Canada.

If you did, send a copy of proof that you completed or are attending a program with your application. Proof can be your:

• diploma
  • transcript
  • certificate

Your proof must be in English or French. If it’s in another language, you must also send a certified English or French translation. The translation should show that the language of instruction of the program was English or French

otherwise you will have to take either CELPIP or ELTS speaking/listening modules.

2. You have to send proof of your language with the application.

arsboy007

Oct 8, 2018
My certificate was issued in English. Does it need to mentioned that the course was taught in English ?

I have attached a copy of one of the certificates I have to have some suggestion.

Certificate

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
Hi All,

Thank you.
Having a citizenship from any English speaking country like UK doesn't give you language exemption in Canada unless you prove that your post secondary education was in English or providing test result of IELTS General or CELPIP.

Please note that only UK naturalization application (Form AN) gives you such exemption.

As your education is from Pakistan, therefore its worth sending college letter along with certificate which confirms that medium of instruction of your education was in English in order to make your case stronger.

tosinosho1992

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
Hi All,

Thank you.
I'm confused--how are you eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship? If you're currently a permanent resident of Canada and had to take the language test for your PR application, that result should suffice for your citizenship application, even if it has expired.

tosinosho1992

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
I'm confused--how are you eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship? If you're currently a permanent resident of Canada and had to take the language test for your PR application, that result should suffice for your citizenship application, even if it has expired.
I'm English and still had to take the test for my PR application.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Not all PRs have to give a language test. If you are PR under express entry yes you need a language test. If he was sponsored as a family member I believe he does need a test. If you a PR under-protected person you don't need a test too for your PR. Depends on how the OP got his PR.

Last edited:

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
Not all PRs have to give a language test. If you are PR under entry express yes you need a language test. If he was sponsored as a family member I believe he does need a test. If you a PR under protected person you don't need a test too for your PR.Depends on how the OP got his PR.
sponsored family member does not need language proof

tosinosho1992

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
Not all PRs have to give a language test. If you are PR under express entry yes you need a language test. If he was sponsored as a family member I believe he does need a test. If you a PR under-protected person you don't need a test too for your PR. Depends on how the OP got his PR.
Got it. Thanks.

myat

Aug 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2011
LANDED..........
28-09-2015 Landed
For my wife citizenship application, for language proof, can I use her diploma from Singapore as she does not have IELTS? And also need to mention Singapore is English speaking country and all the courses are completed in English. Any idea? Thanks.