+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

English Language Proficiency

Mm71

Mar 11, 2015
So, I've just realized that CIC only takes IELTS general and not the Academic one which I have. As a third year student enrolled in a Canadian University, I am curious if I can submit my academic transcript as language proficiency document. I am at good standing and have taken 15 courses so far. This is a direct quote from CIC :

Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:
A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad. or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad.
Anybody know if that applies to my situation?

Nainarvet

Star Member
Feb 21, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mm71 said:
So, I've just realized that CIC only takes IELTS general and not the Academic one which I have. As a third year student enrolled in a Canadian University, I am curious if I can submit my academic transcript as language proficiency document. I am at good standing and have taken 15 courses so far. This is a direct quote from CIC :

Unfortunately not, if you haven't yet completed the course! They would accept transcripts only in case where the program has been successfully completed and the same is indicated in the transcript. FYI.

jujuberanch

Mar 26, 2013
Did you complete high school here in Canada?

Mm71 said:

Mm71

Mar 11, 2015
jujuberanch said:
Did you complete high school here in Canada?
No, I did not.

I have TOEFL as well. But CIC does not take it. I guess I have no choice but to sit IELTS General.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Mm71 said:
No, I did not.

I have TOEFL as well. But CIC does not take it. I guess I have no choice but to sit IELTS General.
You can do CELPIP-G or CELPIP-General-LS(not academic version) which is cheaper compared to IELTS.

Mm71

Mar 11, 2015
thecoolguysam said:
You can do CELPIP-G or CELPIP-General-LS(not academic version) which is cheaper compared to IELTS.
I looked that up, and it is not only cheaper but shorter :0. It only takes an hour. Ok I'm registering it. Thanks guys!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Mm71 said:
I looked that up, and it is not only cheaper but shorter :0. It only takes an hour. Ok I'm registering it. Thanks guys!
You are most welcome. Go for CELPIP-General LS(listening and speaking). Its shorter version and is acceptable to CIC for citizenship purposes.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General Test (CELPIP-G) or the CELPIP-General LS (listening and speaking), not the academic version.

raymasa

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
Canuckguytorontotdot said:
U have to do LINC for sure
No, you don't need "to do LINC for sure". Please don't provide advice that you are not sure of. You can do LINC, IELTS, etc or provide school records that you completed high school or university where the medium of instruction was English or French.

Please be careful when you give advice with certainty "for sure" when it is not for sure.

Ray