+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

English Elementry Schools in Montreal

gargabhi

Aug 17, 2021
Hi All, I have recently moved to Montreal on work permit , so my daughter is eligible to go to an English school. Please suggest good English Public schools in Montreal.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All, I have recently moved to Montreal on work permit , so my daughter is eligible to go to an English school. Please suggest good English Public schools in Montreal.
Where are you living…Montreal is a big city? What school board are you living in? You attend a school in your catchment area. That will determine where she goes to school. If not going to private school, you don’t choose. How is she eligible to go to public English school (certificate of eligibility)? If private, she can go to any private school.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Where are you living…Montreal is a big city? What school board are you living in? You attend a school in your catchment area. That will determine where she goes to school. If not going to private school, you don’t choose. How is she eligible to go to public English school (certificate of eligibility)? If private, she can go to any private school.
Certificate of eligibility only applies to PRs. Children in Canada temporarily are exempt from this process.

OP will only need to get temporary authorization. This is relatively easy to do: http://www.education.gouv.qc.ca/en/parents-and-guardians/instruction-in-english/eligibility/

gargabhi

Aug 17, 2021
Yes i am on Work permit so no issue with if my child's eligibility for the EMSB schools. I am looking for suggestions as to which are the good English public schools. Where i live will be based on my Kids schoold

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes i am on Work permit so no issue with if my child's eligibility for the EMSB schools. I am looking for suggestions as to which are the good English public schools. Where i live will be based on my Kids schoold
If you plan on getting PR it will probably best to start French school now versus having to switch to French much later on in his/her schooling. When it comes to Montreal where you work should be one of the major factors when deciding where to live. If not, you could spend hours a day commuting. Budget is also a factor. When it comes to public schools there isn’t a huge difference in standards between most schools although there is more of a difference when you hit higher grades and CEGEP. In general, areas where there is a high rate of home ownership and home prices are above the average amount will all have good schools. Whether your child is assigned a good teacher is usually what makes the biggest difference and that often comes down to luck.

if yoh plan on remaining in Canada longterm having a child with good French skills opens up a lot of good job opportunities. For example most federal employees need to be bilingual in English and French. Many students still attend English universities even if they studiEd in French when they were young and do well in university. Children pick up languages so easily as children. In Ontario so many families want to enrol their children in French immersion that there is a lottery to see who gets a spot in most districts. Many East Asian families moving to Quebec seem to be panicked by the idea that their child will have to speak French but it really benefits most children in the end.

Last edited: