+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ENGINEERS with "Foreign Quals" -How to Succeed !!!

Oct 3, 2012
Qorax, this was informative, but I would like to clarify one thing: When you say the term "Engineers", does it also cover Software Engineers? I am a software professional looking to settle in Canada. One of your other post suggested Toronto to be the place for new commers. Also, I have read a lot about big names in Software industry having their setups in Toronto. Could you shed some light on this topic with respect to the software professionals like me.

Aasim.ahmad

Oct 4, 2012
Qorax i will be really thankful if you put some light on future of foreign student who does his post graduation from Canadian unis.. thanks in advance

asif1532

Apr 24, 2011
What are the prospects of chemical engineers in vancouver Bc. I am working in Gas transmission and distribution company for last 22 years and planning to land in Vancouver. Please suggest me a link,website or any experience of our member for some info.I will be really thankfull for your help.

s.yazde

Aug 9, 2012
qorax said:
‘Foreign Qualified' Engineers in Canada –What to do???
(Some concrete Steps to make you Street Smart)

Barriers to foreign entry are common among the Regulated Professions in Canada like Medicine, Law, Finance & Accounts, Engineering etc. This is a fact of our life & cannot be avoided... not until some drastic policy changes happen. Governmental intervention plans are many in place, but till today the market doesn't reflect any better.

Foreign-trained Engineers who arrive in Canada with high hopes, only to have their careers derailed, have genuine reasons to crib. Ms. Marie Lemay, CEO of the CCPE (Canadian Council of Professional Engineers) said that, foreign-trained engineers have been caught in a Catch-22 situation, unable to find permanent employment because they had no domestic work experience and unable to get that experience because their degrees had no currency with Canadian employers.

The situation is:
"To get that work experience, you have to get a job, but to get the job you have to either have that work experience OR employers value your credentials [degrees & experience], which is not forthcoming".
<Catch-22, you bet !

Startling Facts : Under-Utilization of Engineers
• Yearly engineering supply from all sources has grown by a factor of three, and immigration into the engineering profession has increased by a factor of twelve, in a decade in which net jobs and economic growth in Canada has been less than 20%
• More than 75% of all skilled workers immigrating to Canada who intend to work in a regulated profession are engineers: this includes the total of all doctors, lawyers, teachers, nurses, veterinarians, optometrists, accountants...
• A popular trend shows immigrant engineers, though well qualified, but is excluded from the workforce because his credentials are not recognized.
• Some senior engineers and engineering educators consider engineering to be the “new liberal arts education”, and have no expectation that engineering graduates should have the opportunity to work as engineers if they so choose! This attitude is not marginal- it is surprisingly widespread!
• Recent surveys have indicated that a large fraction of working engineers consider themselves to be “overqualified for the work they do”; and that about 75% of professional engineers have no defined area of work. A large fraction of engineers are not engaged in the practice of engineering as conventionally defined.
• We still hear reports of localized shortages of engineers. Why? Because some firms insist on hiring people with Canadian experience to fill certain positions that is actually entry level. And other firms wouldn't hire at the entry level with foreign-qualified engineers.

Concrete Steps we should take to Combat the above
• If you are a new immigrant, first & foremost get your ‘foreign' credentials assessed within Canada (details below [1]).
• Secondly, obtain memberships / certifications of Canadian bodies / institutes / associations (details below [2]).
• Thirdly, get yourselves ‘re-trained' from Canadian Universities / Institutions. Most, if not all universities have engineering faculties.
• Fourthly, by the time you endorse into an engineering degree program, get that certification, for sure, as mentioned in point-2 above.
• Fifthly, if you are a recent graduate of an engineering program, or you have an ‘overseas engineering education and have been unable to find suitable work as an engineer, contact your university, accredition body, professional licensing body, and let them ‘know' that you exist! Network & gather all your colleagues, peers, friends, who are in the same situation and write/approach ‘jointly' to these bodies for assistance!

[1] Engineering International- Education Assessment Program
While it is not part of licensing, the Engineering International-Education Assessment Program assesses the educational qualifications of individuals who were educated and trained outside of Canada by comparing their education to a Canadian engineering education. The assessment provides applicants with valuable information on how their foreign education compares to a Canadian engineering education. Few of the agencies to approach are:

Hope the foregoing helps my engineer friends !
Qorax
Many thanks Qorax for your time and sharing with us this information.

I am Civil engineer (M.Sc.) - Construction manager , Do you know somebody who can advise me "which course I can register and participate when I arrived on April , which is recognized by Canadian employers. any center?

Thanks,
S.Yazde

superman08

Jul 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-June-2013
AOR Received.
16-July-2013
File Transfer...
SA received: 23-July-2013
Med's Done....
09-May-2013
Passport Req..
No PPR yet but ECAS changed to IN PROCESS- 27-March-2014
VISA ISSUED...
April 14, 2014 (04/14/14=)
LANDED..........
Soon... =)
qorax said:

Barriers to foreign entry are common among the Regulated Professions in Canada like Medicine, Law, Finance & Accounts, Engineering etc. This is a fact of our life & cannot be avoided... not until some drastic policy changes happen. Governmental intervention plans are many in place, but till today the market doesn't reflect any better.

Foreign-trained Engineers who arrive in Canada with high hopes, only to have their careers derailed, have genuine reasons to crib. Ms. Marie Lemay, CEO of the CCPE (Canadian Council of Professional Engineers) said that, foreign-trained engineers have been caught in a Catch-22 situation, unable to find permanent employment because they had no domestic work experience and unable to get that experience because their degrees had no currency with Canadian employers.

The situation is:
"To get that work experience, you have to get a job, but to get the job you have to either have that work experience OR employers value your credentials [degrees & experience], which is not forthcoming".
<Catch-22, you bet !

• Yearly engineering supply from all sources has grown by a factor of three, and immigration into the engineering profession has increased by a factor of twelve, in a decade in which net jobs and economic growth in Canada has been less than 20%
• More than 75% of all skilled workers immigrating to Canada who intend to work in a regulated profession are engineers: this includes the total of all doctors, lawyers, teachers, nurses, veterinarians, optometrists, accountants...
• A popular trend shows immigrant engineers, though well qualified, but is excluded from the workforce because his credentials are not recognized.
• Some senior engineers and engineering educators consider engineering to be the “new liberal arts education”, and have no expectation that engineering graduates should have the opportunity to work as engineers if they so choose! This attitude is not marginal- it is surprisingly widespread!
• Recent surveys have indicated that a large fraction of working engineers consider themselves to be “overqualified for the work they do”; and that about 75% of professional engineers have no defined area of work. A large fraction of engineers are not engaged in the practice of engineering as conventionally defined.
• We still hear reports of localized shortages of engineers. Why? Because some firms insist on hiring people with Canadian experience to fill certain positions that is actually entry level. And other firms wouldn't hire at the entry level with foreign-qualified engineers.

• If you are a new immigrant, first & foremost get your ‘foreign' credentials assessed within Canada (details below [1]).
• Secondly, obtain memberships / certifications of Canadian bodies / institutes / associations (details below [2]).
• Thirdly, get yourselves ‘re-trained' from Canadian Universities / Institutions. Most, if not all universities have engineering faculties.
• Fourthly, by the time you endorse into an engineering degree program, get that certification, for sure, as mentioned in point-2 above.
• Fifthly, if you are a recent graduate of an engineering program, or you have an ‘overseas engineering education and have been unable to find suitable work as an engineer, contact your university, accredition body, professional licensing body, and let them ‘know' that you exist! Network & gather all your colleagues, peers, friends, who are in the same situation and write/approach ‘jointly' to these bodies for assistance!

While it is not part of licensing, the Engineering International-Education Assessment Program assesses the educational qualifications of individuals who were educated and trained outside of Canada by comparing their education to a Canadian engineering education. The assessment provides applicants with valuable information on how their foreign education compares to a Canadian engineering education. Few of the agencies to approach are:

1. Canadian Council of Professional Engineers (CCPE)
http://www.engineerscanada.ca/e/pr_international_ieg_3.cfm
2. Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB)
http://www.accreditation.org/accbodies.php?page=canada

[2] Memberships / Certifications from Engineering Bodies
Similar to a driver's permit, the memberships/certifications, will instantly qualify immigrants to work in an “apprenticeship capacity” as they pursue their supplementary training [Canadian re-training] toward a permanent placement. Some of the organizations you can approach are:

1. Professional Engineers Ontario licenses [PEO]
http://www.peo.on.ca/
2. The Council for Access to the Profession of Engineering [CAPE]
http://capeinfo.ca/
3. Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists & Geophysicists of Alberta [APEGGA]
http://www.apegga.org/applicants/ieg/overview.html

REFERENCE READING:
Barriers to ‘Foreign Trained' Engineers...
http://www.geography.ryerson.ca/hbauder/Immigrant%20Labour/immigrant_credentials.pdf
Qorax
Thank you very much Qorax...
It's been almost a month that I'm looking for a thread about Engineers... I just want to ask if you have any idea about Electronics and Communications Engineer in Winnipeg? if it's easy to look for a job when I get there? thank you again. Godbless :)

ashif_eee

VIP Member
May 31, 2011
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
[color=purple][b][font=georgia]Singapore[/font][/b][/color]
NOC Code......
[color=maroon][b][font=cambria]2147 [size=8pt](Comp. Engr)[/size][/font][/b][/color]
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
[size=9pt][color=blue][font=cambria][b]10th May 13[/b][/font][/color][/size]
Nomination.....
10th Jul 13
File Transfer...
23rd Aug 13
Med's Request
22nd Dec 14
Med's Done....
12th Jan 15
Passport Req..
13th Feb 15
VISA ISSUED...
3rd Mar 15
qorax said:

The situation is:
<Catch-22, you bet !

Qorax
Great info for us!!

+1!

kimmigration

Star Member
Jul 22, 2011
Dubai
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-5-2011
Med's Request
10-12-2012
Med's Done....
25-12-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-Sept-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-10-2013
LANDED..........
29-Nov-2013 By God willing
Hello everybody,

I am mechanical engineer, and I got my immigration visa to Canada, I am working now on getting the P.E from Ontario.

I have some questions:

As most of you had done, I have a report from WES "world education services" , it states clearly that my degree is equivalent to Canadian BSc. degree in mechanical engineering, and the status of the university is :RECOGNIZED. Note that it is a course by course evaluation.

Does this (wes report) help during the CEAB evaluating process?.

Also, I applied to Masters of engineering degree in a university accredited by CEAB and my application was accepted. do you think that I have to postpone my application to PEO till I finish my postgraduate studies?

Please share your experience and information.
I wish u all the best.

Regards,

Jatpunjabi

May 21, 2013
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2013
Doc's Request.
passport request 06-01-2014
AOR Received.
26-10-2013
Med's Request
06-01-2014
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
kimmigration said:
Hello everybody,

I am mechanical engineer, and I got my immigration visa to Canada, I am working now on getting the P.E from Ontario.

I have some questions:

As most of you had done, I have a report from WES "world education services" , it states clearly that my degree is equivalent to Canadian BSc. degree in mechanical engineering, and the status of the university is :RECOGNIZED. Note that it is a course by course evaluation.

Does this (wes report) help during the CEAB evaluating process?.

Also, I applied to Masters of engineering degree in a university accredited by CEAB and my application was accepted. do you think that I have to postpone my application to PEO till I finish my postgraduate studies?

Please share your experience and information.
I wish u all the best.

Regards,
Dear kimmigration,
I think WES evaluation report for registration as P.egg. is different from that one for immigration purpose.

azimrit

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
20-12-2013
Med's Done....
27-12-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-01-2014
LANDED..........
07-05-2014
Warm Greetings !

This is me Amrit Sharma Subedi,from Nepal recently got PR VISA for Canada.I am planning to settle in Toronto.
I am a biomedical engineer.My work experience is more than 4 years in the same field.Before landing to Canada,I want to join in my Bio-Medical engineers' network there so that it could be easier for me to make contact and uplift my career.
At first after landing, I want to work as a biomedical equipment technician in hospital as a volunteer or intern or do some training , if possible then want to pursue my masters degree in biomedical engineering.For this what should I do ?

Please guide me.

Regards

divyangpatel

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2133 (Electrical Engr)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3rd JULY 2014
Nomination.....
28th OCT 2014 (PER RECEIVED)
IELTS Request
Submited with application
File Transfer...
23 JAN 2015
Med's Request
06 FEB 2015
Med's Done....
02 MARCH 2015 &amp; 19 JUNE 2015(New Born)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
AUG 2015
LANDED..........
Planned in FEB-2016
I am currently working as Electrical Engineer looking after Power Plant maintenance work in India.

How to get job in toronto????????

b_lalij

Jan 11, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2014