+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Engagement Ring & Traveling between countries

rio5

Nov 9, 2016
I've been searching online and can't find a clear answer!

My inland common law PR process is almost complete. I'm a US citizen immigrating into Canada. I have the interview in 9 days, but before then, we'd booked a trip back to Chicago to meet with family and celebrate our recent engagement.

My question is about the ring. Since I'm still technically in Canada without status (I've been living here as a 'visitor' for almost two years, and have traveled in and out of the country a lot), and I was given my engagement ring here in Canada, do I have to declare the ring at the border since I'll be traveling back to my 'home' country of the USA for this quick weekend trip? Bringing the ring is important to us, as we'll be celebrating our engagement with family and friends while we're in Chicago & showing it off. But would this technically be considered bringing expensive 'goods' back from a foreign country and therefore subject to taxes?

Maybe my fiance should hold the ring as we go through customs since he's a Canadian citizen?

tdsw26

Star Member
Feb 1, 2019
Toronto, ON

My inland common law PR process is almost complete. I'm a US citizen immigrating into Canada. I have the interview in 9 days, but before then, we'd booked a trip back to Chicago to meet with family and celebrate our recent engagement.

My question is about the ring. Since I'm still technically in Canada without status (I've been living here as a 'visitor' for almost two years, and have traveled in and out of the country a lot), and I was given my engagement ring here in Canada, do I have to declare the ring at the border since I'll be traveling back to my 'home' country of the USA for this quick weekend trip? Bringing the ring is important to us, as we'll be celebrating our engagement with family and friends while we're in Chicago & showing it off. But would this technically be considered bringing expensive 'goods' back from a foreign country and therefore subject to taxes?

Maybe my fiance should hold the ring as we go through customs since he's a Canadian citizen?
Can't you just wear the ring?? I've never heard of anyone being questioned about jewelry that's worn on the body when crossing the CDN/US border.

Reactions: Enxhi and Kits

rio5

Nov 9, 2016
Can't you just wear the ring?? I've never heard of anyone being questioned about jewelry that's worn on the body when crossing the CDN/US border.
You clearly haven't watched Border Security, lol.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, and if that's the answer, then that's the answer.

tdsw26

Star Member
Feb 1, 2019
Toronto, ON
You clearly haven't watched Border Security, lol.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, and if that's the answer, then that's the answer.
No, I dont - of course they likely only show cases that would make "good tv", that is NOT the norm. I'm referring to personal experience with crossing the border and that of friends and family. Many of whom cross over regularly.

If you're bringing a lot of jewelry over in your luggage, then by all means declare. But you dont need to declare a ring you're wearing any more than you would your gold earrings or a necklace you had on.

Reactions: Kits

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Just wear the ring.....On the correct finger!
I have traveled across international borders wearing my wedding band and have never witnessed any issues.

Well.....Unless it's pierced through your nose with a 2k diamond ?
Hahaha

Reactions: rio5

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

This is a prime example of when we `overthink' because of fear...which is understandable because of how stressful the sponsorship process can be!

I do have a question about this:
"Since I'm still technically in Canada without status (I've been living here as a 'visitor' for almost two years, and have traveled in and out of the country a lot)"

When was the last time you entered Canada?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Or underthink.

Rule of thumb, whenever some newbie surfaces a several-years old thread on an obscure topic and includes a link to where they bought something ... it's a spammer.
Good point. At least the newbie has a few other `non-spam' posts.