+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Endless wait for citizenship application update

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
I understand how you feel. My wife is also a GTA applicant. I used to check every day on eCAS but now we just accepted the fact that the GTA is slow and have adjusted our expectations. I would offer the same advice - do not stress out about it and just go on with your life. That is all that can be done. It will happen when it happens I guess
Thank you for your kind words.

Yes I have adjusted by expectations regarding timelines.

I have another 2 months to go before the 12 month period ends to let's see how it goes.

They have to tell me something in these 2 months.... :)

Wish you well for your wife's application Sir.

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
Thank you for your kind words.

Yes I have adjusted by expectations regarding timelines.

I have another 2 months to go before the 12 month period ends to let's see how it goes.

They have to tell me something in these 2 months.... :)

Wish you well for your wife's application Sir.
Did you do your test interview as yet?

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
Did you do your test interview as yet?
Nothing....

The last communication I have from CIC is " We started processing your application on November 2, 2017 " after that I have no update. Nothing in terms of fingerprints / nothing in terms of test dates ?

As you have applied in the past for yourself I wanted to ask....Does everybody get a call for fingerprints or only some people ? If yes what is the typical gap between a call for fingerprints and a call for test interview ?

Thank you in advance for your response.

LoganWick

Jun 17, 2017
What city are you in? I've noticed that your location has a big impact. For example, the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) seems to be pretty slow but other offices (like Calgary) seem to have better timelines on average...

BS! Calgary has a shitty timeline like Totonto area...

jumon563

Jun 1, 2018
Nothing....

The last communication I have from CIC is " We started processing your application on November 2, 2017 " after that I have no update. Nothing in terms of fingerprints / nothing in terms of test dates ?

As you have applied in the past for yourself I wanted to ask....Does everybody get a call for fingerprints or only some people ? If yes what is the typical gap between a call for fingerprints and a call for test interview ?

You applied 1 months before C-6 kicked in. How many days presence did you have? If you applied one month later, then you would have more than 365 days buffer. I know many people tried to sneak in their application before Oct 11. some applied exactly in 1460 days just to get better processing time. lol. In fact that became a nightmare for them now.

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
Nothing....

I don’t think everyone get asked for fingerprints I had read that if you have the same name as someone else who’s name come up in their criminal data base they asked for fingerprints but other people and the forum would have better information. I already did my test almost 7 months and still waiting for Oath Invite I know how hard it is seeing everyone else around you application moving and yours feel like it stuck I don’t get IRCC good luck.

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
You applied 1 months before C-6 kicked in. How many days presence did you have? If you applied one month later, then you would have more than 365 days buffer. I know many people tried to sneak in their application before Oct 11. some applied exactly in 1460 days just to get better processing time. lol. In fact that became a nightmare for them now.
Hi there

I applied 1 month before because I had more than 4 years of stay at that point of time as well.

In fact my buffer days were more than 100 days even after meeting the 4 year residency so I know I am good on that front.

Besides I am pretty sure if that was an issue they would have returned the file or mentioned that in these 10 months.

Also when I applied there were only rumours of C-6 getting implented and no definite date so I think I did the right thing in applying at that time because I know after that the number of applications almost doubles / tripled for the nexy 2 -3 months so better off applying then. In hindsight maybe I should have waited to apply but logic says it is better to apply earlier thand later plus as I said I didn't know about the C - 6 implementation date as well.

Common sense says that the system should be " FIFO" ( first in first out ) so if IRCC has other rules I am not too sure.

Also the system should be very tranparent and the online status should tell us where our file is and at what stage ?

What stage of the application process ar you at ?

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Common sense says that the system should be " FIFO" ( first in first out ) so if IRCC has other rules I am not too sure.

Also the system should be very tranparent and the online status should tell us where our file is and at what stage ?
I don't think it's possible to be completely FIFO because there will be leapfrogging of applications due to the various places they can get hung up based on individual situations, such as waiting for security checks to be completed. Despite some obvious exceptions in this forum, they do appear to be moving through the queue based on some means of application date, be it AoR, DM, or some other combination. There's really not enough information to know for certain.

The online status gives us an idea of what stage the application is in. Sure, it could be more granular in showing what has or hasn't been completed, such as the information you can receive by ordering your notes. When you get a test invitation, you find out which office is handling your file.

However, given the way I've seen people in this forum react to and use that information, I certainly don't think it would be a good idea to make the online status more granular. The general public doesn't understand enough of what the process entails and IRCC aren't going to ever, ever give that information out anyways because of security implications. (Especially since one of the biggest bottlenecks is CSIS.)

I do think they would do well to allow people to pick their own oath ceremony like you can choose interview times with NEXUS.

Reactions: Kan_Sri

robw

Mar 10, 2014
Welcome to the club. IP for over 200 days. I suspect you're in queue for a fingerprint request because that's where I'm at according to GCMS notes. Keep us posted. We're both GTA applicants.

FYI, took my PR application 15 months start to finish when most were taking 8 months. I think we're just outliers who just need to wait for the system to process. In the meantime, don't forget to renew your PR card! I just did that this morning because I'm expecting this citizenship business to take 2 or so years for me to resolve, so better get the PR renewal out of the way soon.

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
I don't think it's possible to be completely FIFO because there will be leapfrogging of applications due to the various places they can get hung up based on individual situations, such as waiting for security checks to be completed. Despite some obvious exceptions in this forum, they do appear to be moving through the queue based on some means of application date, be it AoR, DM, or some other combination. There's really not enough information to know for certain.

The online status gives us an idea of what stage the application is in. Sure, it could be more granular in showing what has or hasn't been completed, such as the information you can receive by ordering your notes. When you get a test invitation, you find out which office is handling your file.

However, given the way I've seen people in this forum react to and use that information, I certainly don't think it would be a good idea to make the online status more granular. The general public doesn't understand enough of what the process entails and IRCC aren't going to ever, ever give that information out anyways because of security implications. (Especially since one of the biggest bottlenecks is CSIS.)

I do think they would do well to allow people to pick their own oath ceremony like you can choose interview times with NEXUS.
Appreciate the inputs offered.

Keeping fingers crossed.

I have a feeling that good news is around the corner for all of us.

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
Welcome to the club. IP for over 200 days. I suspect you're in queue for a fingerprint request because that's where I'm at according to GCMS notes. Keep us posted. We're both GTA applicants.

FYI, took my PR application 15 months start to finish when most were taking 8 months. I think we're just outliers who just need to wait for the system to process. In the meantime, don't forget to renew your PR card! I just did that this morning because I'm expecting this citizenship business to take 2 or so years for me to resolve, so better get the PR renewal out of the way soon.
Hi there,

Thank you for your note.

Well I have applied for my GCMS notes only last week as I wasn't familiar about that aspect and got to know about that from this forum so applied for it. Let's see what comes up there.

I also wrote to my MP regarding the same a couple of weeks back but haven't heard anything back from him. I was hoping he could have intervened.

I already renewed my PR card earlier this year so that process is out of the way. For a change it took them just a month to get back on the renewal and giving me the physical PR card. :)

Just curious why do you think it will take you 2 years for the citizenship ? Isn't all of this supposed to be done within an year from my understanding ?

Reactions: Kan_Sri

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
I'm way over 200 days in IP also. GCMS shows RCMP check is passed. Stuck in security.

I got my PR card renewed and I'm gonna live life(travel and do what I want) like I never applied. when it happens it will happen.
Hi there,

Thank you for your note.

Well as I mentioned in my previous reply that I have applied for my GCMS notes only last week as I wasn't familiar about that aspect and got to know about that from this forum so applied for it. Let's see what comes up there.

I agree we have to live life as normal as we can but this thing is always there at the back of my mind to be honest especially when I hear and see people around me getting their calls. I feel happy for them but bad for myself if you know what I mean.

By the way how do you know that your office is Mississauga. Is it just because you live there or what ? I too live in Mississauga but have no communication as to where my file is.

I ask this because I know someone who also lives in Mississauga but his file was processed at the Scarborough office.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
I've been in process since Nov 23 for more than 200 days now. Nothing since then.

As per my discussion with call center, I've passed all background checks and my file has been transferred to Mississauga office on May 28. Call center agent said it is in queue for test invite.

I guess it depends on processing path for individual applications. They might do security after test for some whereas for others it is done before test. Hence different people have different timelines. Also, once application is assigned to an officer, they can finalize application at their own discretion.

Ottawan

Nov 11, 2011
Hi there,

Thank you for your note.

Well as I mentioned in my previous reply that I have applied for my GCMS notes only last week as I wasn't familiar about that aspect and got to know about that from this forum so applied for it. Let's see what comes up there.

I agree we have to live life as normal as we can but this thing is always there at the back of my mind to be honest especially when I hear and see people around me getting their calls. I feel happy for them but bad for myself if you know what I mean.

By the way how do you know that your office is Mississauga. Is it just because you live there or what ? I too live in Mississauga but have no communication as to where my file is.

I ask this because I know someone who also lives in Mississauga but his file was processed at the Scarborough office.
Your notes will tell you where your office is. You can also call the call center.

The wait is definitely frustrating. I’ve been in Canada for 19 years. Have a family and a successful business. I believe I contribute to Canada’s growth in every way possible like a responsible resident.

I don’t deserve these delays and ambiguity in my life. However, I know it’s not in my control at this stage. If I do hit over 12 months I will get the top lawyers in this country to pursue my case aggressively. Till then I will move on with my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChippyBoy