+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment verification

Noah Vossen

Mar 27, 2023
Hi guys, I've been self employed since 2014. I'm reading that I have to prove last 10 years of employment? I can provide articles of incorporation and contracts for most years, but I don't have the contracts for first couple of years. What should I submit? Tax forms? Is it okay to submit contracts for some years and tax forms for another few years? And what about that reference letter? I'm reading that it's necessary and if I don't provide it they may return my application. Do I have to write reference letter for myself as a business owner or what? And what if I'm not able to get reference letters from employers before 2014?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
People give advice here for free. It can sometimes take a while for the right person to see your post and respond. If you need immediate advice, then your best bet is to hire an immigration lawyer.

sgoldsmith

Nov 20, 2020
Hi guys, I've been self employed since 2014. I'm reading that I have to prove last 10 years of employment? I can provide articles of incorporation and contracts for most years, but I don't have the contracts for first couple of years. What should I submit? Tax forms? Is it okay to submit contracts for some years and tax forms for another few years? And what about that reference letter? I'm reading that it's necessary and if I don't provide it they may return my application. Do I have to write reference letter for myself as a business owner or what? And what if I'm not able to get reference letters from employers before 2014?
- You only need to prove the amount of work experience you claim in the last 10 years, not necessarily 10 years.
- The maximum of points in foreign work experience is for "3 years or more". So, I would not worry too much about evidence for your activity before 2014. Mix and match of articles of incorporation, contracts and tax returns should be fine to establish your self-employed status
- Letters of reference should be from clients. If you have a couple of long standing clients, try to get the letters from them.

Reactions: Noah Vossen

Noah Vossen

Mar 27, 2023
- You only need to prove the amount of work experience you claim in the last 10 years, not necessarily 10 years.
- The maximum of points in foreign work experience is for "3 years or more". So, I would not worry too much about evidence for your activity before 2014. Mix and match of articles of incorporation, contracts and tax returns should be fine to establish your self-employed status
- Letters of reference should be from clients. If you have a couple of long standing clients, try to get the letters from them.
Thank you very much! So in other words, it doesn't matter how much experience I prove over 3 years, right?
And regarding the letters from clients, I've done single orders for many customers, I haven't done any constant work for an extended period of time for a single customer. So a repeating customer could only confirm that I've done a job for him from time to time. Do I really need those reference letters, are they necessary ?

Noah Vossen

Mar 27, 2023
You only need to show letters of exp for 3 yrs of emp. Rest can go into personal history. No documents needed.
I've done single orders for many customers, I haven't done any constant work for an extended period of time for a single customer. So a repeating customer could only confirm that I've done a job for him from time to time. Do I really need those reference letters, are they necessary ?

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
I've done single orders for many customers, I haven't done any constant work for an extended period of time for a single customer. So a repeating customer could only confirm that I've done a job for him from time to time. Do I really need those reference letters, are they necessary ?
You can't provide self employment letters. You need the client reference letters which cover the 3 years exp.

sgoldsmith

Nov 20, 2020
IRCC doesn't expect you to send 720 individual letters.

Identify your accounts that give you most regular work and ask them for a reference letter that would state that you have been providing them with services as "Job name" since year XXX.

If you bundle that up with your article of incorporations, tax returns and contracts, you should be good.

The info you get through this forum is mostly based on personal experience. Each application is unique and what worked for one applicant might not work for another.

If you still think that proving your self-employed experience won't be straightforward, consulting with an authorized immigration consultant/lawyer would be your safest option.

Reactions: Noah Vossen

Noah Vossen

Mar 27, 2023
IRCC doesn't expect you to send 720 individual letters.

Identify your accounts that give you most regular work and ask them for a reference letter that would state that you have been providing them with services as "Job name" since year XXX.

If you bundle that up with your article of incorporations, tax returns and contracts, you should be good.

The info you get through this forum is mostly based on personal experience. Each application is unique and what worked for one applicant might not work for another.

If you still think that proving your self-employed experience won't be straightforward, consulting with an authorized immigration consultant/lawyer would be your safest option.
Thank you very much, I understand.
I will ask my repeating clients for reference letters, however they might be hard to get.
Do you think those reference letters are necessary ? I will still provide contracts, invoices, articles of incorporation, I can provide some bank statements and pictures of me at work (I read somewhere they are also accepted).

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
Thank you very much, I understand.
I will ask my repeating clients for reference letters, however they might be hard to get.
Do you think those reference letters are necessary ? I will still provide contracts, invoices, articles of incorporation, I can provide some bank statements and pictures of me at work (I read somewhere they are also accepted).
No reference letter= No express entry application . And all those "contracts, invoices, articles of incorporation, bank statements and pictures of me at work" are secondary / additional documents which IRCC asks later if they require. Reference letter is the primary document IRCC require.

Noah Vossen

Mar 27, 2023
Hi guys,
so I've contacted my repeating customers and requested reference letters. As I suspected none of them want to provide such a letter for me bacause "I haven't been employed directly by them" and "they are not required to provide this kind of information".
So I don't have any reference letters.
Will my Express Entry aplication be rejected because of that?