+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment/Source of income - US Employer

omtrq

Feb 29, 2020
Hi,

I am currently working as a contractor for a US based IT company. How do I go on about filling the Employment/Source of income section? I can obtain the letter of employment from my company easily, but since I am responsible for paying my own taxes etc., is there anything additional I will need to provide? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

omtrq

Feb 29, 2020
And going through that section again, do I have to select the option that says "If you're not working in Canada"? I'm really confused about this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am currently working as a contractor for a US based IT company. How do I go on about filling the Employment/Source of income section? I can obtain the letter of employment from my company easily, but since I am responsible for paying my own taxes etc., is there anything additional I will need to provide? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
If you are working as a contractor you likely are self-employed. Depending on how you structured your contracting business you would just submit your business and/or personal income taxes. If you created a company you seem to be the only employee so no point in getting a letter. Your client can submit a letter I guess But I don’t believe it is necessary. when sponsoring a spouse you only have to prove that you can support yourselves without government help.

omtrq

Feb 29, 2020
If you are working as a contractor you likely are self-employed. Depending on how you structured your contracting business you would just submit your business and/or personal income taxes. If you created a company you seem to be the only employee so no point in getting a letter. Your client can submit a letter I guess But I don’t believe it is necessary. when sponsoring a spouse you only have to prove that you can support yourselves without government help.
Thanks! And one more thing, I don't have to get into the hassle of getting incorporated , do I? Since I just landed I won't be paying my taxes right away.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks! And one more thing, I don't have to get into the hassle of getting incorporated , do I? Since I just landed I won't be paying my taxes right away.
You have to talk to an accountant about how you should structure your business/contracting.