+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment/ Source of income" | Need help

tsdhaliwal

Sep 25, 2019
The consultants are wrong and can’t read. You can only apply outside Canada if you are a citizen. If you are PR, you must be in Canada to start the sponsorship process. See bullet 3.

You can become a sponsor if you are:
  • at least 18 years old
  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Actor a permanent resident,
  • living in Canada:
    • if you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside of Canada.
  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#eligibility
Is it possible that they are talking about living permanently in canada. Coz i am just visiting india for marriage purpose. I am still paying my mobile phone bill every month and i have the return ticket as well. So i am permanently living in canada but currently visiting india. Does this means i am eligible to sponsor my spouse and start the application process before i go back?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is it possible that they are talking about living permanently in canada. Coz i am just visiting india for marriage purpose. I am still paying my mobile phone bill every month and i have the return ticket as well. So i am permanently living in canada but currently visiting india. Does this means i am eligible to sponsor my spouse and start the application process before i go back?
Answer is still no. You need to wait until you are physically back in Canada to submit the application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The consultants are wrong and can’t read. You can only apply outside Canada if you are a citizen. If you are PR, you must be in Canada to start the sponsorship process. See bullet 3.

You can become a sponsor if you are:
  • at least 18 years old
  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Actor a permanent resident,
  • living in Canada:
    • if you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside of Canada.
  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#eligibility
You still have to show that you can support your family without government help. Although technically you don’t need a job it will be difficult to sponsor if you have minimal savings and no job. You can update your status partway through the process showing that you are now employed and have accumulated savings. There are cases where sponsoring spouse has received a procedural fairness letter due to finances.