+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment/ Source of income" | Need help

ABTran

Mar 28, 2022
Hi,

I'm Binh, from Vietnam. I need your advise about "employment/ source of income" on the spousal sponsorship application.

My husband has been PR since 2019, but he has just moved to Canada today (total 12 days of stay after landing date). For the upcoming few months, in case he can't get employed, is it possible to prove our financial capacity through our saving and property. Could anyone help me evaluating our current finance if it's strong enough to convince the officer?

Saving - Roughly 28,000 CAD - (saved in Vietnamese bank)

Property - 2 apartments - around 280,000 CAD total

My current income is around 1,600 CAD per month.

According to our current financial situation, how should we address it on our letter of explanation?

Many thanks,

An Binh

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I'm Binh, from Vietnam. I need your advise about "employment/ source of income" on the spousal sponsorship application.

My husband has been PR since 2019, but he has just moved to Canada today. For the upcoming few months, in case he can't get employed, is it possible to prove our financial capacity through our saving and property. Could anyone help me evaluating our current finance if it's strong enough to convince the officer?

Saving - Roughly 28,000 CAD - (saved in Vietnamese bank)

Property - 2 apartments - around 280,000 CAD total

My current income is around 1,600 CAD per month.

According to our current financial situation, how should we address it on our letter of explanation?

Many thanks,

An Binh
That is fine. If he has been PR since 2019 and just moved to Canada does he meet his residency obligations to sponsor you?

ABTran

Mar 28, 2022
That is fine. If he has been PR since 2019 and just moved to Canada does he meet his residency obligations to sponsor you?
Thank you for your confirmation.
He still keeps his PR status. Are there any specific residency obligations to sponsor family member? I haven't found any in the guideline? Please advise.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
To sponsor a spouse, you must be meeting or be able to meet the 730 days out of 5 years since your landing date residency obligation. If your husband meets the criteria then he can sponsor you.

ABTran

Mar 28, 2022
To sponsor a spouse, you must be meeting or be able to meet the 730 days out of 5 years since your landing date residency obligation. If your husband meets the criteria then he can sponsor you.
Thanks for your prompt response!

Do you mean he needs to maintain his PR status during the time of sponsoring? As I understand it doesn't mean that he has been staying in Canada for 730 days and he is able to start the application afterwards. Am I right?

He plans to live in Canada permanently from now on. When the PR card is expired, he will renew.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your prompt response!

Do you mean he needs to maintain his PR status during the time of sponsoring? As I understand the it doesn't mean that he has been staying in Canada for 730 days and he is able to start the application afterwards. Am I right?

He plans to live in Canada permanently from now on. When the PR card is expired, he will renew.
When dates did he land? He needs to meet the RO to sponsor you. If not, he waits in Canada until he meets RO and then applies.

Reactions: ABTran

ABTran

Mar 28, 2022
Would add how many days has he spent in Canada after his landing date and when did he land to the questions.
Thanks for advice. I've added the information to the question.

He spent only 12 days including soft landing (16-26/11/2019) and recent landing (28/03/2022)

tsdhaliwal

Sep 25, 2019
Hi,
I am sponsoring my spouse who currently lives in india. I became PR in june 2022 and was working there till november(5 months approx). I have offer letter and salary slips. Currently i am not working as i came to india in december to get married. Now i'm trying to sponsor my spouse but don't have a job. I don't have much savings but i can show savings and affidavit from my parents. I am confident of finding a job within a month when i go back to canada.
How should i go about with source of income? Can anyone help?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,
I am sponsoring my spouse who currently lives in india. I became PR in june 2022 and was working there till november(5 months approx). I have offer letter and salary slips. Currently i am not working as i came to india in december to get married. Now i'm trying to sponsor my spouse but don't have a job. I don't have much savings but i can show savings and affidavit from my parents. I am confident of finding a job within a month when i go back to canada.
How should i go about with source of income? Can anyone help?
You don’t need a job or income to sponsor a spouse but you must be in Canada to start the process.

Reactions: tsdhaliwal

tsdhaliwal

Sep 25, 2019
You don’t need a job or income to sponsor a spouse but you must be in Canada to start the process.
Are you sure of this? Because i have consulted around 4 immigration consultants and they confirmed that i dont need to be in canada to start the process.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Are you sure of this? Because i have consulted around 4 immigration consultants and they confirmed that i dont need to be in canada to start the process.
The consultants are wrong and can’t read. You can only apply outside Canada if you are a citizen. If you are PR, you must be in Canada to start the sponsorship process. See bullet 3.

You can become a sponsor if you are:
  • at least 18 years old
  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Actor a permanent resident,
  • living in Canada:
    • if you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside of Canada.
  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#eligibility

Reactions: tsdhaliwal

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They are wrong. The application will be refused if you apply from outside of Canada.

tsdhaliwal

Sep 25, 2019
They are wrong. The application will be refused if you apply from outside of Canada.
Is it possible that they are talking about living permanently in canada. Coz i am just visiting india for marriage purpose. I am still paying my mobile phone bill every month and i have the return ticket as well. So i am permanently living in canada but currently visiting india. Does this means i am eligible to sponsor my spouse and start the application process before i go back?