+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Reference Letter Plz Help!

bbtj

Aug 18, 2012
Hi, I just got this letter from my manager, really not sure if this is ok. Please help!

1) the weekly hrs, we do not have a set hours since we work by shifts. Do you think that a range would be ok?
2) on the checklist, it asks for a total annual salary, but I was paid in a hrly rate, so my manager wrote a app. annual # and qoute the hrly rate. Is that ok?
3) I found out that 70% of the job duties listed on the letter is the exact same words on the NOC job description (this worries me b/c I was told by friends that it is not good) Please advice, I really need some opinion on this.

Many thanks!! Please see the letter below:

To Whom It May Concern:

Please accept this letter as confirmation that XXX has been employed with XXX as a Food Service Supervisor since April 14th, 2011. As a full time employee, he works 34 – 40 hours per week and currently earning app. $XX,000 per annum ($XX/hour). Besides salary, he is also receiving two weeks of paid vacation per year.

His main duties and responsibilities include:

 Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of staff who prepare, portion and serve food
 Estimate and order ingredients and supplies required for meal preparation
 Maintain records of stock, repairs, sales and wastage
 Reconcile cash in tills with sales record at the end of shift
 Ensure that food and service meet quality control standards
 Supervise and check delivery of good trolleys
 Open and close the restaurant
 Train staff in job duties, sanitation and safety procedures
 Assist in the development of policies, procedures and may participate in the selection of food service staff

XXX was trained for one month and he quickly learned all the aspects of the restaurant. I have found him to be a dedicated and passionate employee who always strives to excel in any task given to him.

Should you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

Thank you very much!
BBTJ

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
bbtj said:
1) the weekly hrs, we do not have a set hours since we work by shifts. Do you think that a range would be ok?

Providing a "range" is OK, but you should realize that any week in which you work fewer than 37.5 hours is considered "Part-time" by CIC.

Any week you work 37.5 hours or more are considered "full-time." But it looks like you have worked long enough ...

2) on the checklist, it asks for a total annual salary, but I was paid in a hrly rate, so my manager wrote a app. annual # and qoute the hrly rate. Is that ok?

yes

3) I found out that 70% of the job duties listed on the letter is the exact same words on the NOC job description (this worries me b/c I was told by friends that it is not good) Please advice, I really need some opinion on this.

For a change, "friends" are correct. If it looks like the job duties were simply cut and pasted from the NOC website, that could raise suspicions. If you have a written job description from your company, you should use that...

bbtj

Aug 18, 2012
Thanks a lot, really appreciated your help! I guess I'll have to ask my manager, see if he is willing to rephrase that. I know it might be too much to ask, but I'll take a try :(