+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Reference Letter- Cannot get one!!

Liam88

Mar 27, 2015
Hi everyone,

WHAT ARE THE REPERCUSSIONS OF LEAVING OUT EMPLOYMENT HISTORY FROM EE PROFILE OR PR APPLICATION?...I.E SAYING YOU WERE UNEMPLOYED FOR THIS PERIOD INSTEAD OF WORKING FOR AN EMLOYER (BECAUSE I CANT GET A REFERENCE LETTER FROM THOSE EMPLOYERS)

Can someone who has maybe been through the PR process please give me some insight on how important the employment reference letter is?

I worked for 3 mining companies in Australia who all went into receivership after the mining industry collapse last year. My 1 year of continuous skilled employment was with one of these companies, I have every payslip from them, evidence of them going into receivership and letter of offer/contract but no evidence of my main duties. Will this suffice if I write a statutory declaration regarding my main job duties or get a letter from a former work colleague confirming my duties?

For the other 2 companies, I worked for both for 6 months each, but I only have payslips for several weeks in each job. Payslips are the only evidence I have. Is it better to leave these 2 employment histories out of my EE profile and PR application or will this be construed as misrepresentation? If I'm not trying to claim points for those 2 jobs it does it have to be included in my EE profile? And for the business cards....some of my past employers who have provided me with reference letters do not have business cards, will this be a problem?

And how the hell do I contact CIC!?....tried the 1888-242-2100 number but its all automated messages! :mad:

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Liam88 said:
Hi everyone,

WHAT ARE THE REPERCUSSIONS OF LEAVING OUT EMPLOYMENT HISTORY FROM EE PROFILE OR PR APPLICATION?...I.E SAYING YOU WERE UNEMPLOYED FOR THIS PERIOD INSTEAD OF WORKING FOR AN EMLOYER (BECAUSE I CANT GET A REFERENCE LETTER FROM THOSE EMPLOYERS)

Can someone who has maybe been through the PR process please give me some insight on how important the employment reference letter is?

Reference letter are very important (but not indispensable) because you get both program eligibility points and CRS points for your work experience based on those letters and if you can't prove that you worked in a particular NOC for a certain period of time, you stand to lose out on some/all of those points which might render you ineligible in the worst case. I just posted a more detailed explanation here ---> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/express-entry-step-by-step-instructions-t273928.0.html;msg4464842#msg4464842

I worked for 3 mining companies in Australia who all went into receivership after the mining industry collapse last year. My 1 year of continuous skilled employment was with one of these companies, I have every payslip from them, evidence of them going into receivership and letter of offer/contract but no evidence of my main duties. Will this suffice if I write a statutory declaration regarding my main job duties or get a letter from a former work colleague confirming my duties?

A complete reference letter should have the following details

It should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant's name, the company's contact information [address, telephone number and e-mail address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company);

It should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits.

For the other 2 companies, I worked for both for 6 months each, but I only have payslips for several weeks in each job. Payslips are the only evidence I have. Is it better to leave these 2 employment histories out of my EE profile and PR application or will this be construed as misrepresentation? If I'm not trying to claim points for those 2 jobs it does it have to be included in my EE profile? And for the business cards....some of my past employers who have provided me with reference letters do not have business cards, will this be a problem?

CIC actually does insist on getting letters from the organization directly but it is perfectly acceptable to get notarized reference letters from ex-colleagues/supervisors along with an LOE that highlights why the applicant is resorting to these. If you're taking this option, I recommend writing down those reference letters yourself and including everything that CIC wants on those letters - this is mentioned above and on this link as well (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp). . Get those letters signed by your colleague/supervisor and get them notarized, add the business cards of your colleague/supervisor while uploading it.

Leaving out portions of your work history is perfectly legit. It is definitely not a misrepresentation. Decide how many points you will need and get reference letters (from the organization directly or the notarized stuff above) for just those.

Business cards are definitely good-to-have but if your reference letters are printed on the company's letterhead with all contact details mentioned therein, that should still be fine.

And how the hell do I contact CIC!?....tried the 1888-242-2100 number but its all automated messages! :mad:

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Liam88 said:
Hi everyone,

This is just based on my past experience. Employment Reference Letter is the most important document that plays a crucial role in selection. The employment reference letter which lists down the roles and responsibilities in company letter head that is in sync with your NOC is very important. In the past, I have tried keeping some reference letters from my superiors/colleagues and also had them notarized and submitted them but the application was declined.

There are others in the forum who say that if you cannot reference letter from your company, it is better to keep your manager or your ex-boss or colleagues issued letters and same attested by notary. I have even seeing some postings where people have said that you can keep self declared duties notarized. But I am really not a supporter of these approach.

If you company seize to exist, then you do not have option and can keep letters issued by ex-managers or in worst case self declared but notarized. I would also suggest you to keep a Letter of explanation on why you could get a letter directly from your company.

Include watever letters, payslips, copy of ID cards, business cards (watever u have as proof) to strengthen your case further.

Business cards are not mandatory. As long as the reference letters have the contact details, it is not reqd to have business cards.

If I were you, i would not hide facts rather put everything up-front with explanation.

Good Luck

arsh_canada

Sep 18, 2015
I have got FSW invitation and I need to submit JOb Offer letter. I have been working in Canada for the last 2 years.

It seems My company is not interested to provide Job Reference letter. But I do have the letters issued to CIC for extending my work permit ( detailing Full time , Duties , Compensation etc.) dated 20th feb 2015.

Would uploading this letter suffice. Do In need to attach soem explanation letter ?

One more thing I have deputation letters when I was deputed to UK and Germany from the same company ( back in 2007 and 2008). Would attaching those as well help ?

Pls. guide .

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Liam88 said:
WHAT ARE THE REPERCUSSIONS OF LEAVING OUT EMPLOYMENT HISTORY FROM EE PROFILE OR PR APPLICATION? ...I.E SAYING YOU WERE UNEMPLOYED FOR THIS PERIOD INSTEAD OF WORKING FOR AN EMLOYER (BECAUSE I CANT GET A REFERENCE LETTER FROM THOSE EMPLOYERS)

If you leave it out of the EE profile, you simply won't get points. If you include it, you will be expected to provide documentary proof.

If you get an ITA, there will be a number of forms to complete, including a "Background Declaration" where you need to include EVERYTHING - if you fail to include employers (or worse, lie and say you were unemployed), that would be misrepresentation and grounds for being banned from Canada.

It is the single most important document. If you cannot get it, you have to provide a written explanation and evidence to prove your case. However, if your eligibility completely depends on this experience, your chance of success is diminished

You have a lot of documentation, which is good, but your statutory declaration will not be considered. A letter from a former colleague or supervisor is your best bet.

For the other 2 companies, I worked for both for 6 months each, but I only have payslips for several weeks in each job. Payslips are the only evidence I have.

Ahem. You don't pay taxes or have tax documents in Australia? : )

Is it better to leave these 2 employment histories out of my EE profile and PR application or will this be construed as misrepresentation? If I'm not trying to claim points for those 2 jobs it does it have to be included in my EE profile?

Again, if you don't need the points to qualify, you can leave those out of the profile. But later, if you get the ITA, you will have to include them on the background declaration.

And for the business cards....some of my past employers who have provided me with reference letters do not have business cards, will this be a problem?

Usually not, but the letter certainly needs to include their contact details...

If you push the right combination of responses, you *might* eventually reach a human, but their training is superficial and they are known to offer erroneous advice on occasion... Best to educate yourself...

howardsky

Dec 24, 2015
rajanvnv said:
This is just based on my past experience. Employment Reference Letter is the most important document that plays a crucial role in selection. The employment reference letter which lists down the roles and responsibilities in company letter head that is in sync with your NOC is very important. In the past, I have tried keeping some reference letters from my superiors/colleagues and also had them notarized and submitted them but the application was declined.

There are others in the forum who say that if you cannot reference letter from your company, it is better to keep your manager or your ex-boss or colleagues issued letters and same attested by notary. I have even seeing some postings where people have said that you can keep self declared duties notarized. But I am really not a supporter of these approach.

If you company seize to exist, then you do not have option and can keep letters issued by ex-managers or in worst case self declared but notarized. I would also suggest you to keep a Letter of explanation on why you could get a letter directly from your company.

Include watever letters, payslips, copy of ID cards, business cards (watever u have as proof) to strengthen your case further.

Business cards are not mandatory. As long as the reference letters have the contact details, it is not reqd to have business cards.

If I were you, i would not hide facts rather put everything up-front with explanation.

Good Luck
Is it OK to get my ex-manager's statutory declaration in this case?
One of my ex-Company will not provide any duties and responsibilities to my reference letter. :(

Thanks,

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
howardsky said:
Is it OK to get my ex-manager's statutory declaration in this case?
One of my ex-Company will not provide any duties and responsibilities to my reference letter. :(

Thanks,
Yes. Get it on plain paper and get that notarized.

asimzf

Mar 6, 2016
I have around 8 years of experience.

I have the reference letter for the first 4 years for my first two companies.

For my current company, I have it from my ex-colleague (I took it before he left) on company letter head. I also have his business card.
Do I need to get this notarized? I separately have proof for continuous employment and salary certificates.

heysushant

Star Member
Mar 7, 2016
Dear All,

There are a lot of insightful posts above, but I feel my case is a bit different.
I hope someone can help....

1. My previous employer's HR has refused to send a letter of reference to me, be it in any format.
They say that reference letters are only provided to people who are going to leave the company, not people who have already left.

At the time of off-boarding I didn't care much for the 2 lines of experience and RnRs my incompetent manager had written for me, which of course do not match with the work I did there. At that time I was oblivious of EE and CIC.

However, I have managed to ask an ex-colleague of mine still working in the same project, to confirm my RnRs via an official email stating my RnRs and my working hours with his official (company) email with his email signature with his contact details.
Will this be suffice?
Or do I need to get a print out of his email and then get it notarised?

2. My present employer doesn't give any reference letters either. Again, its only provided for people who are going to leave the company, not people who are currently working.
If I do ask the HR, it will immediately travel through the hierarchy which sends a message that I might soon be leaving the company, which jeopardises my job if my EE application doesn't go through.

However, my reporting Manager is a nice guy and has asked me to ask if an email from him would work? He is willing to provide his personal phone number and email if CIC requires. I will ask if he can provide his visiting card also, but I am not sure about the visiting card this because there is no visiting card culture in the company I presently work for.
Will this be suffice?

Any bright ideas?

Alberta Semi Skilled

Jun 28, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-07-2017
Passport Req..
12-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
24-09-2018
LANDED..........
26-09-2018
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding work experience. I have work experience in Canada from March 2016 to February 2017. Will it be counted as 1 year experience or it should be until March 2017? Please advice! Thanks

pino1130

Star Member
May 22, 2017
Hi guys, my company doesn't have the email and telephone number in the letter head, only company address available. Will it be ok?

And I didn't have any benefits other than monthly salary during the employment with my previous company, should I state "no benefits applicable" or I don't need to mention about benefit at all?
Thanks ya!

Once-A-Marketer

Mar 21, 2017
Hi guys, my company doesn't have the email and telephone number in the letter head, only company address available. Will it be ok?

And I didn't have any benefits other than monthly salary during the employment with my previous company, should I state "no benefits applicable" or I don't need to mention about benefit at all?
Thanks ya!
Hey pin01130, I am a similar boat at the moment. Did you submit the letter without the email and phone number? It would help my case a lot to know what happened. Thanks!

pino1130

Star Member
May 22, 2017
Hey pin01130, I am a similar boat at the moment. Did you submit the letter without the email and phone number? It would help my case a lot to know what happened. Thanks!
Hi,
I added the Phone and email in the letter's body. You can get it easily from company's receptionist or your line manager.
Good luck!

Once-A-Marketer

Mar 21, 2017
Hi,
I added the Phone and email in the letter's body. You can get it easily from company's receptionist or your line manager.
Good luck!
Thank for your reply!

Unfortunately, my employment was 7 years ago and I just have a hard copy of the reference letter. And, it is not possible to get a new reference letter from that company. I do have payslips, tax records, and company's name on the work permits.

Anyhow, looks like it worked for you. Did they ask any further questions about your employment?

anandekraj

Jun 6, 2018
Dear All,

There are a lot of insightful posts above, but I feel my case is a bit different.
I hope someone can help....

1. My previous employer's HR has refused to send a letter of reference to me, be it in any format.
They say that reference letters are only provided to people who are going to leave the company, not people who have already left.

At the time of off-boarding I didn't care much for the 2 lines of experience and RnRs my incompetent manager had written for me, which of course do not match with the work I did there. At that time I was oblivious of EE and CIC.

However, I have managed to ask an ex-colleague of mine still working in the same project, to confirm my RnRs via an official email stating my RnRs and my working hours with his official (company) email with his email signature with his contact details.
Will this be suffice?

2. My present employer doesn't give any reference letters either. Again, its only provided for people who are going to leave the company, not people who are currently working.
If I do ask the HR, it will immediately travel through the hierarchy which sends a message that I might soon be leaving the company, which jeopardises my job if my EE application doesn't go through.

However, my reporting Manager is a nice guy and has asked me to ask if an email from him would work? He is willing to provide his personal phone number and email if CIC requires. I will ask if he can provide his visiting card also, but I am not sure about the visiting card this because there is no visiting card culture in the company I presently work for.
Will this be suffice?

Any bright ideas?
Did you get any response on your query from anyone...