+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Letters from the current Employer

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
Hello Folks,

We received our ITA on March 14th. My wife is the primary applicant and we would need to have letters from her current employer in order to proceed with the application.However we do not wish to let her employer know we have plans to move out of the US. It would definitely take away a lot of the trust factor they have in her.Has anyone employed here in the US followed an alternative for the current employer reference letter?Please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

Appreciate all of your help in advance
Thanks

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
She can get letter from her coworker or manager on a plain paper and have them notarized. If coworker identity card has company name, then that too can be submitted as additional proof. Along with that she can submit anything and everything like appraisal letters, promotion letters , w2 forms etc. that she has with that company, all merged in to a single document in the placeholder.

Also keep a letter of explanation on why you could not get job duties on letterhead as a first page, and mention that you got letter from coworker for that. Also make a mention of what other proofs you have attached as a proof of employment.

I just did exactly that for my US experience too and had no issues.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
won't Employment verification letter work? Let HR know that you are applying for mortgage/car loan and Bank is asking for Employment verification letter. My company has standard format for such letter that includes hours worked/week, work responsibilities etc. You can explore other reasons as well for ex - "Going to Australia for 2 weeks trip in Summer and Employment letter is required with other visa documents" etc. etc.

Last edited:

mhentry

Star Member
Dec 17, 2017
I am in the process of collecting Employment verification letter from my ex-employer. One of my ex-company ran out of business and they closed their company. But luckily I have the offer letter and some stubs. I think letter of explanation with offer letter, pay stubs and W2 will prove my employment.
Can anyone share the format for "LOE"
Thank you.

boldmove2018

Star Member
May 20, 2018
I have asked for such letters before because I needed them to apply for visas to travel to other countries (I like to travel). You could simply say that you need it for visas without specifying that it is for Canadian immigration visa. It is their job to provide letters of employment but not their business to know what type of visa you use the letters for.

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
She can get letter from her coworker or manager on a plain paper and have them notarized. If coworker identity card has company name, then that too can be submitted as additional proof. Along with that she can submit anything and everything like appraisal letters, promotion letters , w2 forms etc. that she has with that company, all merged in to a single document in the placeholder.

Also keep a letter of explanation on why you could not get job duties on letterhead as a first page, and mention that you got letter from coworker for that. Also make a mention of what other proofs you have attached as a proof of employment.

We submitted our application by getting a letter from her co-worker. We provided a co-worker signature and phone number as well. Do you know if CIC will call the co-worker up in that phone number and ask her further details about my wife's employement and experience?

boldmove2018

Star Member
May 20, 2018
We submitted our application by getting a letter from her co-worker. We provided a co-worker signature and phone number as well. Do you know if CIC will call the co-worker up in that phone number and ask her further details about my wife's employement and experience?
I don't have firsthand experience but I did some search earlier. Most people say that their employers did not get a call from CIC. I don't think there's something to worry about at this stage. If you get a request for a letter from CIC asking for a letter from HR or someone in the management position, worry about it then. Best of luck and keep the rest of us informed!

Reactions: Joshua2018

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
I just got a generic one for use at port of entry, copy of approved PERM, pay stubs and LOE (stating a direct request could affect bonus and raise).

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
They can do that. Rare, but not impossible.

Reactions: Joshua2018

may123456

Jun 25, 2018
I have my letter printed on Company letterhead and signed by a friend working in the same Company. However we hold the same position, will that be a problem? Must I get it signed by my supervisor?

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
I have my letter printed on Company letterhead and signed by a friend working in the same Company. However we hold the same position, will that be a problem? Must I get it signed by my supervisor?
It must be from your supervisor.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016

This is the best option. Have a notarized affidavit rather than getting a letter from your employer (if you dont wish to disclose it at this point) as giving a different reason could end up being a trust factor later when you are actually moving and want to work with the employer in Canada as well.

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
I don't have firsthand experience but I did some search earlier. Most people say that their employers did not get a call from CIC. I don't think there's something to worry about at this stage. If you get a request for a letter from CIC asking for a letter from HR or someone in the management position, worry about it then. Best of luck and keep the rest of us informed!
Hello,
We received our COPR on August 15th. The letters we provided for my wife were just fine and we did not get any calls from CIC. Just wanted update you on our experience as well. It looks like CIC only calls when the documentation provided isn't robust enough ,or they have concerns about the duties listed out or the experience portrayed.

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
If you're obtaining the letter from your co-worker it's recommended to have the letter notarized. You should provider your co-worker's phone number and also a color scan of their ID card also if possible.