+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Insurance while on open work permit

Nanana031

Jun 15, 2018
Hello everyone!

I am having a situation, I would really appreciate your suggestions. Please leave your judgments with yourself.

I was working with the company for more than 30 hours weekly on my study permit. I know this is illegal, but I would not do this if I had any other ways to survive. After graduation, I got my PGWP and continued to work with the same company. I am married with a canadien citizen but did not have a chance yet to apply for sponsorship since paying tuitions as international student was all I could afford.

I got my PGWP on March 2018. I got pregnant and planning to apply for EI in September. I am really worried that during this process Service Canada may find out that I was working more than allowed while on study permit based on my record of employment submitted by my employer. I know that employer will provide only the total insurable hours, but still very worried. I am working legally since March and by September will still have enough insurable hours to claim EI but I found out that the employer will need to provide the information during the last 52 weeks period, so illegal time will still be included.

Those who are not citizens and have experience with EI please advise on the following:
1- does Service Canada requests visas for all periods in the last 52 weeks? Or only the valid one which in my case is PGWP?
2- is there any way they can find out the amount of hours worked weekly?
3- If you was in the similar situation, please advise on your current status.

Again, please don’t share your negative thoughts about the situation. I know I did a bad thing and already had enough worries.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hello everyone!

I am having a situation, I would really appreciate your suggestions. Please leave your judgments with yourself.

I was working with the company for more than 30 hours weekly on my study permit. I know this is illegal, but I would not do this if I had any other ways to survive. After graduation, I got my PGWP and continued to work with the same company. I am married with a canadien citizen but did not have a chance yet to apply for sponsorship since paying tuitions as international student was all I could afford.

I got my PGWP on March 2018. I got pregnant and planning to apply for EI in September. I am really worried that during this process Service Canada may find out that I was working more than allowed while on study permit based on my record of employment submitted by my employer. I know that employer will provide only the total insurable hours, but still very worried. I am working legally since March and by September will still have enough insurable hours to claim EI but I found out that the employer will need to provide the information during the last 52 weeks period, so illegal time will still be included.

Those who are not citizens and have experience with EI please advise on the following:
1- does Service Canada requests visas for all periods in the last 52 weeks? Or only the valid one which in my case is PGWP?
2- is there any way they can find out the amount of hours worked weekly?
3- If you was in the similar situation, please advise on your current status.

Again, please don’t share your negative thoughts about the situation. I know I did a bad thing and already had enough worries.
You give your ROE from the company that you've stop working with in order to apply for EI. On your ROE, it should state the number of hours worked over the last 52 pay periods. Service Canada does not deal with immigration so they won't know what status you were because all they need is the SIN which starts with 9 for foreigne workers. They will issue your EI if you qualify for it. But dont take my word for it because it's under discretion whether Service Canada will contact CIC.

Your troubles may begin when you start applying for PR as you should state all employment history and CIC may find out about your illegal work. But no cases have shown how they find out but most of the time, CIC will know.

Nanana031

Jun 15, 2018
You give your ROE from the company that you've stop working with in order to apply for EI. On your ROE, it should state the number of hours worked over the last 52 pay periods. Service Canada does not deal with immigration so they won't know what status you were because all they need is the SIN which starts with 9 for foreigne workers. They will issue your EI if you qualify for it. But dont take my word for it because it's under discretion whether Service Canada will contact CIC.

Your troubles may begin when you start applying for PR as you should state all employment history and CIC may find out about your illegal work. But no cases have shown how they find out but most of the time, CIC will know.
Thank you for your opinion. I was always providing true employment history, when extending study permit and applying for PGWP. Later I will apply for sponsorship and will hope for the best.