+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment insurance for new work permit holders that not reached 650 hour Ei eligibility

glencybabyvengassery

May 7, 2014
Is there any insurance scheme like employee insurance in Canada for new commers open work permit holders. If I got a permanent job and just joined after two days work place closed due to covid 19.Is there any support Canada government will provide same like Ei?????

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Is there any insurance scheme like employee insurance in Canada for new commers open work permit holders. If I got a permanent job and just joined after two days work place closed due to covid 19.Is there any support Canada government will provide same like Ei?????
Not EI, you haven’t paid into the program long enough to qualify. The new program for those ineligible for EI , CERB will be up & running to take applications early April.
The complete GOVERNMENT details , not a unions , has yet to be finalized
I’d refer to the Governments website versus a unions for the complete correct information to be released

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2020/03/introduces-canada-emergency-response-benefit-to-help-workers-and-businesses.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
With only 2 days of work think you may find it very difficult to qualify for many EI or job loss related programs. B

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You won't qualify for EI since you don't have enough insurable hours. Canada has announced a special program due to COVID-19 called CERB. However you must have earned at least $5,000 in income in Canada over the last 12 months to qualify. If you have only worked two days in Canada and have no other income from Canada, then unfortunately you won't qualify for this program either. If you have previous employment in Canada, then hopefully you'll qualify.

Reactions: canuck78

pavan23

Nov 18, 2014
If you are laid off during your probation period, Say like 3 months after starting the job, Will you be eligbile for EI or CERB ?

I am currently working from Home and my employer is pressuring me to come to work. They want my COVID test result which is still pending as per the local health care unit.

They are saying that im on probation and cant miss work like this . what can i do in this case ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you are laid off during your probation period, Say like 3 months after starting the job, Will you be eligbile for EI or CERB ?

I am currently working from Home and my employer is pressuring me to come to work. They want my COVID test result which is still pending as per the local health care unit.

They are saying that im on probation and cant miss work like this . what can i do in this case ?
EI is only available if you have worked enough insurable hours in Canada (650 hours). CERB should be an option if you've earned at least $5,000 in the past year.