+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

employment history

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A quick question: for citizenship application, does it matter if the applicant works in Canada but for a US employer? ie, the source of income is US, hired by US employer, but the citizenship applicant lives in Canada. Thanks very much in advance.

Maisa

Jun 14, 2012
Hi,
As long as you live in Canada and you satisfy the residency requirements then you're ok. Your employer does not have to be Canadian.
Maisa

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks very much Maisa. I hope I'm not getting myself paranoid. I wouldn't worry about this a few weeks ago, but I started reading discussions here. I saw people who live in Canada got RQ just because they travel to US a couple times.

I got my PhD one year ago after studying in Canada since 2008, and landed as a PR 5 months ago. Now one of my co-supervisors in US offers to hire me as a research consultant. My supervisor is ok with me not going to US to work, because he understands how much I want to get a Canadian passport. He's looking for ways to pay me here, and I don't want his effort to be wasted if my US income will become a problem in the future.

Theoretically a person who lived 1095 days out of past 4 years will get his citizenship, but it's getting harder these days. I hope my situation won't be a catch-22. I'll very much appreciate if anyone with similar experience can put my mind to ease, so that I can let my supervisor know the US payment won't be a problem in the future. Thanks!

ScubaC

Jun 21, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A quick question regarding employment history and RQ. For some months was unemployed during my time here in Canada as a refugee claimant (2010). It was hell and traumatic and I had surgery as well so I had a time of unemployment while waiting for my hearing. Now, I am working part-time and I am going to start college this sept. and will be in college until it will be time for my citizenship application (2015). My question is will this period(s) of employment make an issue for me even though I was a refugee at that time and did not travel from Canada (they take your passport) and won't until I get my citizenship?

Thanks guys