+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employers preferring PRs over Work permit

jobseeker63

Apr 4, 2013
Hi,

I have been searching for a job for the past three weeks.Most of the employers do not prefer my open work permit dependent on my husband's workpermit !!!

Is there anybody who landed an IT job with a open work permit ?

Thanks.

LuvDuggal

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
8(R-7 L-8.5 W-6 S-7.5)
jobseeker63 said:
Hi,

I have been searching for a job for the past three weeks.Most of the employers do not prefer my open work permit dependent on my husband's workpermit !!!

Is there anybody who landed an IT job with a open work permit ?

Thanks.
Actually its pretty obvious that employers would prefer employees with PR over open Work permit. i think you just need to have a bit of canadian exposure. That you can have by dong a course from there. Because employers readily accept employees who upgrade themselves in particular field.
Do some research for kind of emplyees needed in your are and enhance your skills in that particular field from canada itself which may give you an edge over others

However, you have to put in extra efforts because you are still a doubtful resource for employers/

Hope this helps.

Regards
Luv Duggal

jobseeker63

Apr 4, 2013
Hi LuvDuggal,

I thought I would be recognised as i have sun certification in hand.

Almost applied for 100 jobs.People do call me but after knowing that i am on a work permit, they are like client will need a PR candidate.

I am thinking of taking any survival jobs also.Please any suggestions for that ?

Thanks.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Sorry to hear that. May I suggest, next time they tell you that the client prefers a "PR candidate", ask them nicely ofcourse, if there is anything you can do as a work permit holder to overcome the condition or improve your chances?

I say this because it could be that the client thinks a PR can travel around the country or overseas easily than a work permit holder which isn't necessarily true, especially if you are not visa-exempt to Canada. Or the reason could be something insignificant or which you can do very well. So you need to know why there is this 'preference' and strive to overcome it. ;)

jobseeker63 said:
Hi LuvDuggal,

I thought I would be recognised as i have sun certification in hand.

Almost applied for 100 jobs.People do call me but after knowing that i am on a work permit, they are like client will need a PR candidate.

I am thinking of taking any survival jobs also.Please any suggestions for that ?

Thanks.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
They also may be concerned that you won't be able to stay with the company long term.

I was advised to write up my cover letter stating my intentions to become a PR and reside in Canada indefinitely. Then you can discuss the type of commitment you want to make.

Just one piece of advice. Only use it if you like it :)

PRCR

Jan 4, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amikety said:
I was advised to write up my cover letter stating my intentions to become a PR and reside in Canada indefinitely. Then you can discuss the type of commitment you want to make.

Just one piece of advice. Only use it if you like it :)
I just read your comment Amikety and found it very useful. Did writing this cover letter help you secure a job faster? And if you do not mind can you share (inbox me) the wordings of your cover letter (in reference to stating your intentions of becoming a PR and residing in Canada indefinitely).

Thanks

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
PRCR said:
I just read your comment Amikety and found it very useful. Did writing this cover letter help you secure a job faster? And if you do not mind can you share (inbox me) the wordings of your cover letter (in reference to stating your intentions of becoming a PR and residing in Canada indefinitely).

Thanks
That was advice given for when I finish school. I'm not done yet ;)