+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer-specific work permit while on visitor visa

shahshah

Mar 6, 2022
Hi,
My family (Spouse, 2 Children) currently holding visitor visa, and will be travelling to Canada in late October to visit my Canadian sibling. I received an offer from a company in Canada to work (non-LMIA offer) But they ask me for work authorization which i don't have while holding visitor visa. My occupation code is 2173 (Software engineers and designers) and 0213 (Computer and information systems managers).
I was looking at Canada gov website and came across this policy which allows visitors to apply employer-specific work permits while in Canada:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit/visitor-work-permits.html#toc2

May i know if i will be eligible to apply under this program upon entry? If yes, will my dependants also get long term pass without having to leave the country and apply again?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,
My family (Spouse, 2 Children) currently holding visitor visa, and will be travelling to Canada in late October to visit my Canadian sibling. I received an offer from a company in Canada to work (non-LMIA offer) But they ask me for work authorization which i don't have while holding visitor visa. My occupation code is 2173 (Software engineers and designers) and 0213 (Computer and information systems managers).
I was looking at Canada gov website and came across this policy which allows visitors to apply employer-specific work permits while in Canada:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit/visitor-work-permits.html#toc2

May i know if i will be eligible to apply under this program upon entry? If yes, will my dependants also get long term pass without having to leave the country and apply again?
You need your employer to file for the LMIA. Once you have the LMIA, you can apply for a closed work permit. You can stay in Canada while it is processed. Family can stay but may need to extend visas as CBSA decides on entry how long you will stay.

Reactions: scylla