+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer Specific Work Permit - Problems with employer

Meg Hassakorsian

Jun 24, 2020
Hello, my brother is here on an employer specific work permit for a three year duration. I am looking for someone who has experience in this.
He is not happy anymore with his current employer and I am wondering what the process is to change employers if it is at all possible. It has been a year he is with this one. I do not want him to return to our country as it is at war currently.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, my brother is here on an employer specific work permit for a three year duration. I am looking for someone who has experience in this.
He is not happy anymore with his current employer and I am wondering what the process is to change employers if it is at all possible. It has been a year he is with this one. I do not want him to return to our country as it is at war currently.
He would need to find a new employer willing to give him a job offer. That employer would then need to obtain an approved LMIA. Once that is done, your brother would apply for a new closed work permit tied to that specific employer. Once the new work permit is approved, he would be able to start working for the new employer.

It's possible there could be other options available. But that's the most any of us can give you with the limited info you've provided. If you provide information such as his country of origin, whether he has applied for PR and how far along he is in the process, his occupation, etc., it's possible we may be able to give additional guidance.

Meg Hassakorsian

Jun 24, 2020
Hi dear,

he is from Lebanon and he is a mechanic. Automotive service technician and he has not yet applied for PR.

I am here in Canada and I am PR too. I dont know if we can apply under skilled trade and such.
He would need to find a new employer willing to give him a job offer. That employer would then need to obtain an approved LMIA. Once that is done, your brother would apply for a new closed work permit tied to that specific employer. Once the new work permit is approved, he would be able to start working for the new employer.

It's possible there could be other options available. But that's the most any of us can give you with the limited info you've provided. If you provide information such as his country of origin, whether he has applied for PR and how far along he is in the process, his occupation, etc., it's possible we may be able to give additional guidance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi dear,

he is from Lebanon and he is a mechanic. Automotive service technician and he has not yet applied for PR.

I am here in Canada and I am PR too. I dont know if we can apply under skilled trade and such.
So at this point he would definitely need a job offer + approved LMIA from a new employer in order to be able to apply for a new closed work permit and switch employers once that new closed work permit is approved.

You can read up on the Federal Skilled Trades program here to see the requirements: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/skilled-trades.html The last draw did not include his occupation: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/express-entry-rounds/invitations.html?q=261 The previous draw to that was in 2020 if I remember correctly.

You haven't said which province he's in but recommend he research the PNP programs in this province (in addition to the Federal program).

Meg Hassakorsian

Jun 24, 2020
We are in BC.

So at this point he would definitely need a job offer + approved LMIA from a new employer in order to be able to apply for a new closed work permit and switch employers once that new closed work permit is approved.

You can read up on the Federal Skilled Trades program here to see the requirements: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/skilled-trades.html The last draw did not include his occupation: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/express-entry-rounds/invitations.html?q=261 The previous draw to that was in 2020 if I remember correctly.

You haven't said which province he's in but recommend he research the PNP programs in this province (in addition to the Federal program).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.