+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer reference letter for spouse required even if no points claimed???

samgrace375

Star Member
Jan 25, 2017
My husband has work experience only in India and this does not contribute to any points to my application. Now that we are uploading the documents for ITA, the instructions on documents checklist page the following:

"Document: Employment Records
You must provide proof of work experience for your current job and for each past position you listed. Proof must include a reference letter from your employer and pay stubs, if you have them. The reference letter must:
be an official document printed on company letterhead
include your name, the company's contact information (address, telephone number and e-mail address), the signature of your immediate
show all positions held while employed at the company
include these details: job title, duties/responsibilities, job status (if current job), the dates you worked for the company, the number of work hours per week and your annual salary plus benefits.
You must scan all documents for this period of employment and save them as one file. (You must create a separate file for each period of employment.)"

He does not have reference letters as per CIC's requirement as his HR department does not provide such letters. However, all the required information is available in multiple documents such as appointment letter, appraisal letter, increment letter, work experience letter from previous employer, and payslips. Will these be sufficient? Or reference letter is mandatory?

bh1978

Feb 22, 2017
samgrace375 said:
My husband has work experience only in India and this does not contribute to any points to my application. Now that we are uploading the documents for ITA, the instructions on documents checklist page the following:

"Document: Employment Records
You must provide proof of work experience for your current job and for each past position you listed. Proof must include a reference letter from your employer and pay stubs, if you have them. The reference letter must:
be an official document printed on company letterhead
include your name, the company's contact information (address, telephone number and e-mail address), the signature of your immediate
show all positions held while employed at the company
include these details: job title, duties/responsibilities, job status (if current job), the dates you worked for the company, the number of work hours per week and your annual salary plus benefits.
You must scan all documents for this period of employment and save them as one file. (You must create a separate file for each period of employment.)"

He does not have reference letters as per CIC's requirement as his HR department does not provide such letters. However, all the required information is available in multiple documents such as appointment letter, appraisal letter, increment letter, work experience letter from previous employer, and payslips. Will these be sufficient? Or reference letter is mandatory?
Hello. I have the sane isdue. I have not yet sumitted to get the checklist. After submission ang getting the checklist for document upliading, can you go back and revise the apllication?

Ayam93

Star Member
May 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
do the BEST thing - remove spouse work experience if you are not claiming any CRS score for same. I did exactly the same thing and it saved me much hassle to get all reference letters, etc. I think it also make my PR file a bit light as number of documents to be reviewed and verified decreases considerably.

But do mention about your spouse work in Personal History and then write Letter of Explanation. In LOW jut say that as you are not claiming any CRS points for your spouse, you have removed the details from his/her Work Experience but same details are present in Personal History. I did this after receiving ITA and many folks have dont this and got PR.

Ayam93

Star Member
May 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bh1978 said:
Hello. I have the sane isdue. I have not yet sumitted to get the checklist. After submission ang getting the checklist for document upliading, can you go back and revise the apllication?
Yes

samgrace375

Star Member
Jan 25, 2017
Ayam93 said:
do the BEST thing - remove spouse work experience if you are not claiming any CRS score for same. I did exactly the same thing and it saved me much hassle to get all reference letters, etc. I think it also make my PR file a bit light as number of documents to be reviewed and verified decreases considerably.

But do mention about your spouse work in Personal History and then write Letter of Explanation. In LOW jut say that as you are not claiming any CRS points for your spouse, you have removed the details from his/her Work Experience but same details are present in Personal History. I did this after receiving ITA and many folks have dont this and got PR.
That makes sense! Thanks a lot...

bh1978

Feb 22, 2017
Ayam93 said:
And although i have mentioned work experiences for me and spouse in EE profike, now in PR application i can remove thoes which are nit adfing aby points and mention them just in personal history
Am i right?

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
bh1978 said:
And although i have mentioned work experiences for me and spouse in EE profike, now in PR application i can remove thoes which are nit adfing aby points and mention them just in personal history
Am i right?
Correct. Explain it in LOE too.