Apr 5, 2014
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
hi there,
I'm working as a live in caregiver and my employer passed away a month after i got the work permit. Her daughter as the executor assigned me to be caretaker of her mother's house and properties and she was paying all my taxes til Dec 31. im just worried if it would create a problem when i apply for OP/PR. im scared its not acceptable theyre still employing me as caretaker of my deceased employer's house while awaiting for end of year as they planned to sell it. pls enlighten me. Thanks very much.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
To me, it sounds as if you are no longer a "live in caregiver" and have changed your job to "property caretaker".
Therefore, I would question if your LMO still applies, and with it, your work permit. Essentially, you have changed your employer.

intA HAYATI

Apr 5, 2014
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
well im still in the live in caregiver program and my daughter's employer said she can attest that i still live in my employer's house (same address), looking after her house and she will give me release after at least 4 mos which is a big help to me as i was trying find for new employer..i asked one paralegal and and an immigration consultant and they said its fine as long as they decide to keep me for some reasons. hope so :(

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
If you are asking for opinions, i would definitely go with what Zardoz said, based upon my limited understanding.

I believe the actual employer named in your LMO was the person who died already. I don't know how that works for LMO's which are done by people, not companies, but i assume his name would be there. So technically you are not longer employed to him, since he died. Nor are you working as a Live in caregiver any more.

But the point is, even if you loose your job, one can still stay till the end of his / her work permit ALTHOUGH YOU CANNOT WORK, not for another employer.

Your situation does sound exceptional and may be CIC has some considerations for that which obviously no one except CIC can say any thing about.

However, by ground rules, it does seem to have a problem. However, if you find another employer in this time who could do the LMO and get you work permit (many employers already have received unnamed LMO's) then i believe you could get away all right. This is mere speculation, not a policy of CIC and could go either way.

honeysweetie

Jun 17, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
intA HAYATI said:
hi there,
I'm working as a live in caregiver and my employer passed away a month after i got the work permit. Her daughter as the executor assigned me to be caretaker of her mother's house and properties and she was paying all my taxes til Dec 31. im just worried if it would create a problem when i apply for OP/PR. im scared its not acceptable theyre still employing me as caretaker of my deceased employer's house while awaiting for end of year as they planned to sell it. pls enlighten me. Thanks very much.
Technically you need to get a new work permit with a new LMO. Read this IP04 page 6-8 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip04-eng.pdf

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed with what everyone else is saying. The work you are doing now isn't covered by your existing work permit and isn't legal.