+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer can't provide letter of employment to specifications

karan-91

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One of the past employers is insistent that the letter of employment they can provide will be a generic one that doesn't fit all the specifications of what the CIC asks for.

For instance, they are unable to state the NOC code for the position.

What must I do in such a situation?

shakashaka

Star Member
Feb 9, 2015
karan-91 said:
One of the past employers is insistent that the letter of employment they can provide will be a generic one that doesn't fit all the specifications of what the CIC asks for.

They do not have to state NOC code. IF they can give you : job title, duties and responsibilities, dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits in a company letterhead you should be good. If they cant say the salary you can use the pay stubs that you got from them before

DoubleS

Nov 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 5, 2014
Doc's Request.
CCC Jan 8, 2015
LANDED..........
Currently in Canada
karan-91 said:

In my opinion, the NOC code is not mandatory, so it's absence from the letter will not be detrimental. The crucial things that CIC looks for in a reference letter are:
1. Duties performed
2. All positions held and Duration of each -- NOC not a must
3. Hours worked per week
4. Annual Salary plus any benefits
5. Date
6. Signature of person doing the letter (preferably your supervisor or HR manager)
7. Letter head and contact details for the company

Then for supporting documents you can provide:
1. Work contracts
2. Pay stubs
3. Business card of person writing the letter(if you have it)

Hope you get some more responses from other forumites as well. Good luck!!!

Singalingali

Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Karan-Yeah some employers and even some banks can be very dufficult because they insist on only giving a generic letter. Just have them input as much information as they are willing to and look for other supporting documents.

mhcnz

Jan 9, 2015
We had the same problem with all hospital employers in UK and NZ. When we submitted we did a big pdf file including: cover letter outlining that standard letter was all we could get and what was included in file; their generic letter; email trail showing that they wouldn't issue a non-generic letter; business cards; email trail showing the ones that didn't have a business card!; contracts from the time of employment which stated all the duties anyway.

Worried about it as in past been turned down for exactly this reason (pre-EE). Hoping that now that email trail and contracts included all will be well. There was literally nothing else that could be done.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
mhcnz said:
We had the same problem with all hospital employers in UK and NZ. When we submitted we did a big pdf file including: cover letter outlining that standard letter was all we could get and what was included in file; their generic letter; email trail showing that they wouldn't issue a non-generic letter; business cards; email trail showing the ones that didn't have a business card!; contracts from the time of employment which stated all the duties anyway.

Worried about it as in past been turned down for exactly this reason (pre-EE). Hoping that now that email trail and contracts included all will be well. There was literally nothing else that could be done.
What reason they gave for rejection pre EE?? did you had the generic letter??

karan-91

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When I've worked for a smaller organization with a close relationship with my manager, I've easily been able to come up with a letter that perfectly checks all the boxes.

Working at larger corporations that have a standalone HR unit makes it harder to get a letter that isn't already their boilerplate.

kakhileshreddy

Jan 6, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
CELPIP-spouse-sept 23- same day submitted
AOR Received.
sept 14
Med's Request
sept 24-passed/recv'd
Med's Done....
sept 24
Passport Req..
FEB 24
i have the similar problem i am unable to get the ref letter from my previous employers from India.

what i have is the offer-letters stating start-date, job-title,salary and hours of work and bank-statements showing the salary credits.

i have contacted my managers they are ready to give a letter but they no longer work there.

is the above docs enough ???

please advise..

zaki100

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
in my case, i have a job letter, with job title and all the other info. but no job description, instead the employer gave me a separate letter head paper with job description for the position i held in the main letter. i am planing to attache them together. :(

DoubleS

Nov 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 5, 2014
Doc's Request.
CCC Jan 8, 2015
LANDED..........
Currently in Canada
zaki100 said:
in my case, i have a job letter, with job title and all the other info. but no job description, instead the employer gave me a separate letter head paper with job description for the position i held in the main letter. i am planing to attache them together. :(
That's how mine is done as well. I'm here anxiously awaiting PPR from CIC. Good luck to us both!!!

DoubleS

Nov 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 5, 2014
Doc's Request.
CCC Jan 8, 2015
LANDED..........
Currently in Canada
dukhi said:
Have they tried contacting that employer??
Not to my knowledge.

zaki100

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
DoubleS said:
That's how mine is done as well. I'm here anxiously awaiting PPR from CIC. Good luck to us both!!!
Yaman DoubleS please let me know when u get your PPR or if any thing transpires out of that 8) i am still waiting for the ETA :'(

DoubleS

Nov 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 5, 2014
Doc's Request.
CCC Jan 8, 2015
LANDED..........
Currently in Canada
zaki100 said:
Yaman DoubleS please let me know when u get your PPR or if any thing transpires out of that 8) i am still waiting for the ETA :'(
Will definitely shout it from the mountain tops when I get my PPR. I'm praying my inbox lights up this week. ;)