+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employee Reference Letter / Employment Records

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
A few years ago, I applied for, and received a work permit from inside Canada. I'm currently submitting an application from outside Canada and am being asked for more documentation than I was asked for the other time. I'm not applying for Permanent Residence, just a temporary permit.

I work in the low stakes field of arts non-profits / public institutions. There's constant turnover, and little HR practice, so I'm trying to figure the best ways to approach both the Reference Letter / Employment Records requests.

For the last 3 jobs over 10 years:

Current job: part time, and have only been here a month and a half. It also has little relevance to the position I'm applying for, and I'm not ready to inform them of my plans to leave. Would my job offer letter suffice here?

Previous job (same position, and most relevant): My former supervisor (and any colleagues) is no longer there, and current management has very little knowledge of my position held (which is no longer even a position). It's possible to get a letter from my former supervisor, but not on company paper. I do have a letter of reference from her that we used on my last application, on letterhead etc, but it's a few years old. Is it possible to use that, or best to approach for a new letter w/ letter of explanation?

The job before, also not as relevant, but in a similar field. Also, no one who worked there at the time is involved...although the supervisor from above is now in the position that would be the relevant supervisor I would be asking for this reference.

It's all a bit confusing, and to make things stranger, the address of the new employer is the same address as the previous job (the moved into the gallery space formerly occupied by my old employer). My biggest concern is that all of these organizations / people are interconnected and I wonder if that is going to make them question the validity of the offer / experience, all of which is coincidental, but legitimate.

Also, in lieu of employment record letters, can I just submit my T4s?

Last edited: