+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employed but not working when work permit expires

Jmsmrch

Dec 18, 2017
I'm in the process of a PR application with OWP

I'm here on IEC visa and will have some time between IEC expiring and my OWP being issued. I can't get implied status due to the IEC program, but was told today that I can stay in the country as I have started proceedings with an inland application. (public policy?)

My employer said they'll keep me on file so I can return to them once I get an OWP, can I stay employed and not working? does that conflict with rules as a visitor?

And has anybody any experience with this "Public Policy"? I was told I can't do a boarder run as that could impact my PR application, but just to stay and not work.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm in the process of a PR application with OWP

I'm here on IEC visa and will have some time between IEC expiring and my OWP being issued. I can't get implied status due to the IEC program, but was told today that I can stay in the country as I have started proceedings with an inland application. (public policy?)

My employer said they'll keep me on file so I can return to them once I get an OWP, can I stay employed and not working? does that conflict with rules as a visitor?

And has anybody any experience with this "Public Policy"? I was told I can't do a boarder run as that could impact my PR application, but just to stay and not work.
You have valid status and have applied to extend your status with the OWP, so you will have Implied Status but only as a visitor due to the fact that you are on an IEC permit. This is normal and legal, so there is no public policy that applies.

As long as you don't actually do any work, it's fine for your employer to keep you on file.

Jmsmrch

Dec 18, 2017
I am under the impression that IEC doesn’t benefit from implied status though. And that’s the reason the public policy comes into effect?

And from the second part, what you’re saying is basically unpaid vacation time is ok? I was hoping to not be terminated and be able to work as soon as my new permit arrives!

Thanks for your reply!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am under the impression that IEC doesn’t benefit from implied status though. And that’s the reason the public policy comes into effect?

And from the second part, what you’re saying is basically unpaid vacation time is ok? I was hoping to not be terminated and be able to work as soon as my new permit arrives!

Thanks for your reply!
You don't get Implied Status as a worker because IEC cannot be extended. You get Implied Status as a visitor.

Yes, it' fine