+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Emigrating to the USA?

Fantasmu

Aug 24, 2015
My wife's final appointment for permanent residency is in April. I have a degree in education, but the job hunt isn't going the best here. I may have an opportunity to pursue a teaching job in the United States, but I don't know how that would work. Is there a minimum amount of time that she would have to live here as a permanent resident before

PrincessCRV

Star Member
Jun 26, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
07-05-2018
AOR Received.
15-06-2018
Med's Request
20-06-2018
Med's Done....
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
21-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
My wife's final appointment for permanent residency is in April. I have a degree in education, but the job hunt isn't going the best here. I may have an opportunity to pursue a teaching job in the United States, but I don't know how that would work. Is there a minimum amount of time that she would have to live here as a permanent resident before
Your wife would have to meet the residency requirement of being physically present in Canada 2 years in a 5-year period. There is no minimum amount of time she would have to stay there before leaving the country after becoming a PR. Are you a Canadian citizen? If so, any time she spent outside of Canada with you would count towards fulfilling her residency requirement. This does not apply if you are a PR.

Fantasmu

Aug 24, 2015
Your wife would have to meet the residency requirement of being physically present in Canada 2 years in a 5-year period. There is no minimum amount of time she would have to stay there before leaving the country after becoming a PR. Are you a Canadian citizen? If so, any time she spent outside of Canada with you would count towards fulfilling her residency requirement. This does not apply if you are a PR.
Yes, I am a Canadian citizen. That's actually great to hear because at this point we don't really know what the future holds. We are in Canada for the time being but that's definitely great to know - thank you!