+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Emigrated to Canada but returned to UK advice needed

Robbo8764

Jun 4, 2017
Hi. I emigrated to Canada in 2007 with my parents when i was 9. Unfortunately they split a few months after arriving in Canada and i came back to the UK. I was wondering, as i was a landed immigrant then with my parents could i apply for a work permit to work in Canada? Or do i need one? I wanted to go back and work for a year or so?? Can anyone help or has any experence of this???

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
You are still a Canadian PR, do don't qualify for any type of visa or permit.

Since you were removed from Canada as a minor, and now want to return around age 19, you have a valid H&C reason to keep your PR status even though you don't meet the Residency Obligation. The older you get after age 19-20, the less chance there will be to qualify for this H&C excuse.

So you need to apply for a PR TD from the UK. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/
In the application, include details that you were removed at 9 yrs old, and now want to return. The PR TD will be approved allowing you to fly directly to Canada, and once in Canada you can immediately apply to renew your PR card.

Do you know if you got a Social Insurance Number (SIN) back in 2007? If yes, then you will just need to re-activate it. If not, you may face difficulty to get one until you get your new PR card. You can't work until you have an active SIN.