+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Emigrate to Quebec through spouse sponsorship querry

james1121

Nov 8, 2012
Hi there, I was wondering if anybody could help me on an immigration query.
I am British and my wife is Canadian (from Quebec). We currently live in the UK but are looking to move and settle in Quebec.

My wife is planning to go back to Canada around December 2013 (1 year from now), and myself up to 6 months after. The plan is to live with her parents as a temporary measure, until we find a place of our own. My wife will also apply for a job as soon as she arrives in December to make sure she has income.

My queries are:
- Is there any specific requirements for the spouse visa in terms of Income. I would most likely be leaving my job in the UK (in Finance) and applying for a similar position once I arrive in Quebec. My wife will hopefully have a job by then but her parents will continue to provide accommodation and support until we are settled.

- In terms of being able to work in Quebec, would I need to take a test to prove proficiency of French or would this not be required under a spouse visa?

English is my first language, however I do understand good (but not fluent) written & oral French. I would make it a priority once there to fully immerse myself in French and take advantage of any courses offered by colleges/ CEGEPs. I appreciate that I may have to apply for a lower position or a different job until my French has improved. I am actively practising French at the moment in the UK and will continue to do so over the next 12-18 months.

I have also visited Quebec City several times, both in summer, spring and winter so have a pretty good idea what life is like there.

Any advise on this subject would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Cheerio

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
There are no income requirement for Quebec and so you cannot get rejected based on income for either party. They just want to make sure neither of you receive any public assistance and so she cannot be receiving any while she applies and she must sign a paper stating she agrees, if you were to sign up for any assistance during your sponsorship, that she would pay it back to the government.

It sounds like you guys won't have a problem though and it's great that you are already practising your French! Good luck!! =)

james1121

Nov 8, 2012
Thanks both for your help. The only reason I asked whether there was French proficiency test is I heard there was one required for the skilled worker visa, but I will intend to keep learning French leading up to when I plan to go.

kafkaesque

Star Member
Aug 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O / Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 May 12
AOR Received.
none!
File Transfer...
15 Sept 12
Med's Done....
30 April 12
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
22 Oct 12
VISA ISSUED...
(DM 26 Nov)
james1121 said:
Thanks both for your help. The only reason I asked whether there was French proficiency test is I heard there was one required for the skilled worker visa, but I will intend to keep learning French leading up to when I plan to go.
Not only is there no French requirement for spousal sponsorees, as a new QC immigrant you are eligible for free French classes. So really don't worry about that aspect. You will find French useful for everyday life, but there is no immigration issue.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hello,

it seems like you are very well organised since you're already planning the move for next year! I don't know when you are planning on applying, but if you can get everything sorted out before she moves, it would be the best - like this you would avoid being in Canada on a tourist visa unable to work... (although that would be a good way to improve your french too!).

There is no minimum income for your wife to sponsor you, and if she is a citizen she can sponsor you even being outside of Canada. The only thing is that you would have to prove that you would be moving to Canada once the PR is granted. But if she already has leads on posisble jobs, and can get a letter from her parents stating that they know of your intentions to move to Canada and they are willing to host you, and if you can include additional details on your possible move.

The visa "limit" is the expiry of the medicals - they are valid for one year. So if you're planning to move to Canada in June 2014, aplying around july/august 2013 will give you plenty of time to go through the process, and land before the expiry of the medicals...
Good luck,
Sweden

Rob51

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nice that you are moving to Québec! You should definitely take the free French courses (Francisation) when you arrive, because there is quit a difference in speaking French and speaking Québécois.
This is very important to get a job over here. You have to accept a lower position to work here, because you have to proof yourself that you can nail it.
Good luck!

james1121

Nov 8, 2012
Thanks for all your help. I will definatly take advantage of the French courses offered. In temrs of the application, would it be adviseble for both my wife and me to apply for the visa from the UK, or can I apply from the UK whilst my wife returns to Canada to search for employment (would get her to send any of her documents that are required to me to send in with the application).

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
james1121 said:
Thanks for all your help. I will definatly take advantage of the French courses offered. In temrs of the application, would it be adviseble for both my wife and me to apply for the visa from the UK, or can I apply from the UK whilst my wife returns to Canada to search for employment (would get her to send any of her documents that are required to me to send in with the application).
Both can work.... in my opinion, the earlier the better because the process can take a while, and it's easier to complete forms etc when together, but it's really up to you. If you do it early, then you most likely will have your application processed and approved before you move to Canada, which would avoid having to move there to be with your wife, and be on a tourist visa (no healthcare, no possibility to work etc...).

The main thing is: if you apply now, your wife will have to prove that she intends to move to Canada once the PR is approved. She can do that by showing any proofs that she intends to move to Canada: quotation for goods to send to Canada, job search, flat hunting, emails from friends and family where she is discussing the opportunities to move, a possible job offer, contacts with recruiters etc - you name it.

IF you apply when she is already in Canada - then she just has to state that she is in Canada ( and prove it somehow, with an address etc), then no need to prove it any further - so that part is slightly easier...

The good point of doing it when you are together is that you minimize the time you could be separated because of PR issues...

Good luck with putting together your application,
Sweden

james1121

Nov 8, 2012
Hi, one further question: When completing the application, do I also need to submit either my wife's (Canadian) or my (UK) passport, or do they just require a copy? This would be for an application done in the UK.

Thanks

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
james1121 said:
Hi, one further question: When completing the application, do I also need to submit either my wife's (Canadian) or my (UK) passport, or do they just require a copy? This would be for an application done in the UK.

Thanks
Hey,

only copies of the passport are required to apply. At the end of the process, you will get your COPR - confirmation of Permanent Residence, sent to the address indicated in the application ( you can change it during the application if needed). Since you are from a visa-exempt country (you do not require a visa to go to Canada) you won't have to submit your passport at the end of the process, but only a copy of it, and the COPR will arrive via post. With that and your passport you will then be able to travel and land as a PR in Canada. You can also be already in Canada (on a tourist visa for example), and you then need to "flagpole" - go the the US border, exit and re-enter Canada to complete landing procedures (10 min process).
Good luck,
Sweden