+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Emergency Protection Order/Restraining Order

taherkhan

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
A friend applying for the citizenship recently got a restraining order against him from his spouse. No charges have been laid against him. He wants me to post this question here. Would he have any issues going through the citizenship process?

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
A friend applying for the citizenship recently got a restraining order against him from his spouse. No charges have been laid against him. He wants me to post this question here. Would he have any issues going through the citizenship process?
A restraining order isn't a serious criminal offence, although only court can decide on that. It is mostly use to restrict or instruct an individual or entity to act in certain way. Except if he fails to comply or convicted of same, or if the police fingerprint him. Otherwise, he should be fine.

Reactions: taherkhan

taherkhan

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
A restraining order isn't a serious criminal offence, although only court can decide on that. It is mostly use to restrict or instruct an individual or entity to act in certain way. Except if he fails to comply or convicted of same, or if the police fingerprint him. Otherwise, he should be fine.
Thanks. What he told me is that it's a civil offence and not a criminal offence at all. No charges were laid. No FP were taken. The spouse only using the law against him as per my conversation with him. Claiming domestic violence. Nothing proven against him. He just wanted to confirm through this forum. He's a member of the forum but didn't want to post by himself. Thanks for your reply. Happy new year :)

Reactions: babsizkil

Bilal721

Dec 19, 2020
My ex wife and I both have restraining order clause in our court order against each other. I am a male and I have to sponsor my current wife from back home. I haven't been charged or convicted of any crime. Will this restraining order be a deal breaker?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
My ex wife and I both have restraining order clause in our court order against each other. I am a male and I have to sponsor my current wife from back home. I haven't been charged or convicted of any crime. Will this restraining order be a deal breaker?
The discussion of this section is about citizenship application. Your question is already posted in multiple sections and in multiple posts in Family Sponsorship section (which would be the right place).

As already suggested, consult with a lawyer.